Learn the fundamentals of digital video camera operations in this highly practical and hands-on short course. During this course you will gain skills and experience in all aspects of digital video production, from the basics of planning through to being capture ready, building the confidence to create high-quality original footage.
In today's screen orientated and media savvy world, communicating ideas via the screen is an essential skill for many professions. This course is ideal for anyone who is required to create video content and generate images for professional purposes, such as teachers who use video recording for events and educational purposes.
This course is also suitable for beginners and is ideal for anyone interested in learning how to produce short films, documentaries, commercials or promotional videos.
Topics covered in this course include:
- Planning and preparing for filming
- Recording quality images
- Understanding your camera
- Shot sizes and framing; understanding the point of emphasis and interest through the frame
- Composition; eye line shot and reverse short
- Camera movement; including dollies and cranes
- Camera audio
- How to shoot best to facilitate effective editing, e.g. cut away/cut ins and enter/exit frame
- Preliminary digital editing demonstration using Final Cut Pro Studio
This course provides the foundation skills for digital video production, forming a strong basis for the Digital Video Editing short course. At the end of each course participants will receive a DVD of their work.
All equipment is supplied. Participants may bring their own video camera if they wish to fully understand its functions and capabilities.
Dress code: casual with closed footwear
What to bring: flash drive or portable hard drive for video files (suitable for Mac format)
6 weeks x 3 hours
Student Visa (500)
Current VISA holders eligible
For more details on short course enrolments, discounts, refunds, international student eligibility and more, please visit
Applying for Short Courses