Make an informed choice for your future study and learn more about TAFE SA's entry requirements and selection criteria.
You can access a range of vocational education and training courses and degrees at TAFE SA. Each course may have particular admission criteria you need to meet.
You can find specific admission criteria within each award course.
Many Certificates I to Advanced Diploma have no entry requirements. If you wish to access WorkReady funding, you will need to demonstrate satisfactory results in reading, writing and numeracy skills as part of course counselling before enrolling by completing the CORE Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA).
Most Diploma and Advanced Diploma level courses are eligible for VET Student Loans. To access a VET Student Loan you will need to show you are academically suited to undertake the course by either:
- providing a copy of your senior secondary certificate of education; OR
- achieving satisfactory results in reading, writing and numeracy skills by completing the CSPA; OR
- providing a copy of a qualification at Certificate IV level or above that has been delivered in English.
Entry to competitive courses where class numbers are restricted may require you to demonstrate:
- satisfactory results for reading, writing and numeracy skills by completing the CSPA skills indicator
Higher Education Admission Criteria
There are several ways you can meet the entry requirements for TAFE SA higher education courses. TAFE SA will consider applicants who:
- Have previously been enrolled in higher education study, such as a university degree
- Have studied a vocational education and training course at TAFE SA or another Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- Are finishing year 12, or have completed secondary education within the last two years
- Have other work and life experience.
Visit TAFE SA Degrees for more information about higher education admission criteria.
Additional assistance preparing for CSPA
Six short courses are available to assist in
improving numeracy, reading and writing skills.
Level 1 courses are aimed at improving skills to assist in completing a Certificate II or III level qualification.
Level 2 courses are aimed at improving skills to assist in completing a Certificate IV or above qualification.
- I Improve Numeracy Level 2
This program will cover: simple fractions; decimals and percentages; basic calculations - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; estimation; place value and units of measurement.
- I Improve Reading Level 2
This program will cover identifying text types, audience and purpose of texts; using navigation skills to locate information; interpreting workplace information in texts and reading strategies for work and study purposes.
- I Improve Writing Level 2
This program will cover preparing to write routine workplace texts by identifying the audience and purpose of workplace texts; identifying text features; planning texts; drafting routine workplace texts by using drafting strategies, layout and organisation; grammar and vocabulary and writing conventions; reviewing and finalising routine workplace texts.
Degree courses specify entry requirements within each individual course. Find out the entry requirements specific to you and your previous study, work or life experience.
Need further assistance? Contact the TAFE SA Infoline.