This course is designed for newly elected representatives in their first year of office. The intent of the training is to develop skills to represent their work group and exercise their powers and functions under the Work Health and Safety (WHS) Act. It is not intended to train HSRs to be health and safety professionals or fulfill person Conducting a Business or Undertaking (PCBU) WHS obligations.
- Understand the context of WHS legislation and practice
- Understand the objects and principles of the WHS Act
- Identify various elements of the legislative framework
- Understand the role and functions of the regulator and their interaction with HSRs
- Understand the safe work approach to work health and safety issues
More formalised training can be completed at a higher level e.g. Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety. For eligible companies a fee subsidy may apply.