From learning to read and understand commercial patterns (including fit adjustments to match your body shape), to mastering cutting and sewing techniques, this course will give you the skills to create contemporary fashion garments at home.
It is recommended that you have a basic knowledge of how to use a domestic sewing machine and basic hand stitching, however all skill levels are welcome.
The following equipment will be provided:
- Pattern making paper needed for alterations.
- Fabric for testing out patterns e.g., calico, or similar.
- Use of a sewing machine.
- Use of an overlocker.
Students are required to bring the following items to the first class:
- Basic sewing and pattern kit (including pins, fine hand sewing needles, quick unpick or small sharp scissors, fabric scissors, tape measure, 30cm ruler, paper scissors, HB mechanical pencil, eraser, and sticky tape).
- Notebook and pen.
*To note: you may experience delays in starting your garment if these items are not brought to the first class.
For the second class you will need to get the following items with the lecturer advising on specifics during your first class.
- Commercial pattern (if this is your first experience sewing a garment we recommend that you select a pattern for a basic, simple skirt).
- Fabric (sufficient length for the chosen garment).
- Quality threads for seeing and overlocking (minimum 4 reels, matching fabric).
- Any trims, zips, buttons, press studs etc required for the completion of the garment.
- Any other items identified by the lecturer.
For workshop safety you must adhere to the following policies:
- Dress code: shoes with a low heel and enclosed toes.
- Long hair must be tied back.
- Refrain from wearing any long, loose, or overly large jewellery.
- No food or drink is permitted in work areas except bottled water
- No personal music devices are to be used in workshops or while operating machines.
For organisations that wish to pay the student fees for this course and are unable to pay by credit card via the website, please contact the Short Course team via email on email@example.com to organise a Third Party Payment invoice.
6:00pm - 9:00pm
8 weeks x 3 hours
Student Visa (500)
Current VISA holders eligible
For more details on short course enrolments, discounts, refunds, international student eligibility and more, please visit
Applying for Short Courses