Take your love of fashion to the next level and learn how to make your own clothes using industry techniques for that professional finish. This course will provide you with the skills and experience to create your very own original and inspiring fashion pieces, accessories or crafts at home.
Over the duration of this course you will create a simple garment of your choice using a commercial pattern. You will learn how to read, understand, measure and adjust patterns, learn about various sewing techniques, master basic cutting and fitting methods, use a sewing machine and overlocker, and more.
It is recommended that you have a basic knowledge of how to use a domestic sewing machine and basic hand stitching, however all skill levels are welcome.
The following equipment will be provided by TAFE SA:
- Any pattern making paper needed for alterations;
- Fabric for testing out pattern (calico or similar);
- Domestic sewing machines;
- Domestic overlockers.
Students are required to bring the following equipment to the first session. You may experience delays in starting your garment if the following is not brought to the first session:
- Basic sewing/pattern kit (pins, fine hand sewing needles, quick unpick or small sharp scissors, fabric scissors, tape measure, 30cm ruler, paper scissors, HB or mechanical pencil, eraser and sticky tape);
- Notebook and pen;
- Commercial pattern (if this is your first experience sewing a garment we recommend that you select a pattern for a basic, simple skirt);
- Fabric (sufficient length for the chosen garment);
- Quality threads for sewing and overlocking (minimum 4 reels, matching fabric);
- Any trims, zips, buttons, press studs etc. required for the completion of the garment;
- Any other items identified by the lecturer.
For workshop safety you must adhere to the following policies:
- Dress code: shoes with a low heel and enclosed toes;
- Long hair must be tied back;
- Please refrain from wearing any long, loose or overly large jewellery;
- No food or drink is permitted in work areas except bottled water;
- No personal music devices are to be used in workshops or while operating machines.
5 weeks x 5 hours
Students holding Visa 500 are eligible
No concessions apply.
For more details on short course enrolments, discounts, refunds, international student eligibility and more, please visit
Applying for Short Courses