Vocational Educational Training (VET) Recognition of Prior Learning
TAFE SA recognises that you already have knowledge and skills from life and work experience, previous courses and training, or self-taught knowledge and skills. If you can provide evidence that you already have the relevant skills and knowledge, you may be able to use this to gain recognition for one or more units in a course or the whole course at TAFE SA. This is known as recognition of prior learning (RPL).
RPL may also be referred to as:
- recognition of current competence (RCC)
- recognition of current skills
- skills recognition.
When you apply for RPL, your knowledge and skills are measured against the equivalent unit in the relevant course. If you are successful, you will be assessed as having already completed those modules or units in your course. This will enable you to complete your studies in less time and at less cost.
You are responsible for providing all the necessary evidence to gain RPL. The fee charged for RPL is less than that for a complete course.
Higher Education Credit for Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning for higher education units is based on equivalent learning.
Credit is obtained on the basis of evidence that the student has already undertaken learning that is deemed to be equivalent to the parts of the course of study for which credit has been granted.
TEQSA Guidance Note:
Credit and Recognition of Prior Learning
Higher Education students will apply for Credit for Prior Learning (CPL).
Your lecturer can assist you to identify previous learning for which you may receive credit.
What are the benefits for you?
- Reduced cost
- Reduced study time
Discuss your prior learning with your lecturer before commencing your qualification. Complete the “Application for Credit Transfer” form (provided by your lecturer) and submit this with the evidence required.
- Credit for Prior Learning should be identified during course counselling and recorded on a Training Plan before registration is completed or within 2 weeks of commencement of the qualification.
- A student must complete and submit an Application for Credit Transfer Form TAFESIS019 with evidence.
- This process must be completed prior to the census date to avoid incurring a FEE-HELP debt.
- If already registered in a subject, prior to applying for Credit for Prior Learning, a student must complete and submit a Withdrawal/Refund/Adjustment of Fees application form.
See additional FEE-HELP information on the TAFE SA webpage.
See Withdrawal and refunds information on the TAFE SA webpage.
- ST (Status Granted) Result Code will be used for Credit for Prior Learning.
- No fee will be incurred for a Credit for Prior Learning application or result.