Any student thinking of withdrawing from study should inform the program area as soon as possible. Student services staff are available to discuss and help resolve difficulties that might influence a student's decision to withdraw.
Fees owing are not reversed automatically. The TAFE SA refund policy outlines the criteria under which a refund can be given.
1. Drop classes
Log into your myTAFE SA account and drop yourself from classes
2. Submit withdrawal form
Complete a Withdrawal / Refund / Adjustment of Fees application form.
Submit any supporting documentation with the withdrawal form to your program within one week.
Types of supporting documentation:
- Medical certificate
- Written verification of change of employment commitment from your employer
- Details of exceptional circumstances
If you attend any component of a class (or in the case of flexible learning, have documented contact with the facilitator) but do not submit a withdrawal form, you may be resulted as a fail (F) and not be eligible for a refund or credit.
There are limited criteria under which a refund may be granted. This differs depending on the type of course. Details for each can be found below.
Student initiated refunds
Refunds will not be granted automatically. You are expected to be aware of your work and personal commitments before you enrol, and will need to demonstrate that the cause of withdrawal could not be reasonably anticipated before you enrolled.
A full refund will be given if you:
- withdraw before the date of commencement of the relevant class(es) or course
- produce a document that supports your successful application for RPL in parts of a course, where the full fees have been paid. This will only apply within the first 20% of the scheduled duration of the relevant class (unit of competency / CRN). After that time, all other elements of the refund policy apply if you withdraw as a result of being awarded RPL.
A 50% refund will be given if you withdraw for reasons of personal circumstances beyond your control, after the relevant class (unit of competency / CRN) has started, but before 20% of the classes scheduled duration.
Acceptable reasons may include:
- sickness (verified by a medical certificate)
- change of employment hours or location (verified by employer)
- other valid reason at the discretion of the delegate (exceptional circumstances), or
- If you complete an application for RPL within the first 20% of the scheduled duration of the relevant class (unit of competency / CRN), you will be charged the appropriate RPL fee and the difference will be refunded.
See also refunds for government funded loan schemes if these apply to you:
Acceptance of a place in a higher preference course offered through SATAC
A full refund will be given if you provide a copy of the letter of offer.
Short courses and full fee paying courses
No refund will be granted:
- Unless TAFE SA withdraws the course in which case a full refund will be provided
- Or the class has not commenced
TAFE SA initiated refunds
Where a refund results from a situation caused by TAFE SA, eg cancelled class, a full refund of the fees will be given.
A separate policy applies for international students. You should contact TAFE South Australia International on 08 8463 5487