Gain course credit from prior education

If a student has experience or studies relevant to their chosen course, they can apply to have these skills recognised through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or course credit towards their formal qualification. If successful, this may mean that they receive status towards their formal qualification and/or are exempted from having to complete certain units or subjects in their study program.

Got skills?

A student’s skills and knowledge may have been gained through work, formal study, volunteering, informal or formal training, social activities, self-taught or general life experiences. These can be considered through an RPL assessment into a Vocational Training & Education course from Certificate II to an Advanced Diploma (VET level) at TAFE SA.

Students undertaking an Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree are not eligible for RPL but can apply for credit which recognises prior study.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for VET courses

If a student applies before enrolment, the student should upload their documentation with their online application following the RPL Application Information. Following assessment of the RPL application, TAFE SA will notify the student of any changes to the course duration and/or tuition fees and issue the offer letter accordingly.

If a student is applying after enrolment, the student should make sure that they bring their information and speak to their program coordinator as soon as possible.

Refer to the fees and charges schedule.

When a student applies for RPL the student must provide evidence of their skills, experience and/or studies. This evidence can include certification, academic transcripts, subject descriptions, testimonials, references from employers and work samples. This evidence of knowledge and skills is then measured against the equivalent unit(s) in the relevant VET course.

Credit for higher education courses

Students may wish to apply for credit prior to or upon enrolment and commencement in a higher education course. Students will need to provide evidence, transcripts and possibly study materials, of their previous study for which they are seeking credit. Only formal study can be recognised for higher education courses.

There is no fee for the assessment of credit.

Receiving RPL or Credit

If the RPL or credit application is successful, the student will be deemed as having already completed those units in their course. These courses will not need to be studied at TAFE SA and therefore, depending on the timetable, an international student may be able to complete their studies in less time and at less cost.

If course credits or exemptions are granted after a student visa is granted, the student will be notified of any changes to the course duration and fees.  If required a new Confirmation of Enrolment will be issued to the student and Immigration notified.

Students who have received course credits or exemptions must continue to keep their enrolment load at a level to allow them to complete their course within the expected duration.