Students will be shown how to prepare a palette, mixing a range of secondary and tertiary colours, followed by a variety of basic watercolour techniques and “tricks”. Emphasis will be given to achieving luminous, loose, transparency with the paint, whilst touching on the fundamentals of composition, tone and colour.
This intensive 3 day workshop covers:
- Introduction to materials and techniques
- Working representationally or through abstraction
- Working from an image (supplied on the day), students are guided through the principals of tone, colour and dynamic composition on a page
- Working from a still life
- Collaborative artwork
What to bring:
- Winsor & Newton artist watercolour paint tubes – 14 or 5ml - Alizarin Crimson, Winsor Yellow, French Ultramarine, Winsor Red (Please note: if students have other colours at home or quality watercolours that are not this brand, they can bring them to class);
- Jasart Red Sable round brushes #4 and #10 (any good quality pure or synthetic round sable brush will do)
- Art Spectrum flat Hake Goat hair 2” (or wider) - Chinese calligraphy brushes are reasonably priced and work beautifully also. These can be purchased at Kuo Chi Oriental Supermarket, 88 Gouger Street, Adelaide
- a CHEAP small, sized round synthetic brush (it’s going to get ruined!)
- 1 x A4 Arches watercolour pad, 300gsm, medium.2 x 560 x 760mm Arches 300gsm, medium. This will be used in the final weeks. (Please note: If student budget do not allow for this quality paper, Fabriano or Saunders is adequate)
- Masking Fluid - Winsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid 75ml (don’t buy the Permanent Masking Medium)
Sue will supply palettes, pencils, erasers, rags and water jars for use in the classes.
Please also bring an apron or cover shirt.