Certificate IV in Hospitality
- Certificate III in Hospitality (SIT30616)
|Teaching Duration||17 weeks|
(2 Semesters is 1 academic year)
|Course Type||Training Package Qualification|
|Course page PDF
If you are looking for a pathway to work as a supervisor in hospitality organisations such as restaurants, hotels, motels, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops, this qualification allows for multi-skilling and for specialisation in accommodation services, food and beverage, and gaming.
Course Admission Requirements
(for International Applications)
of 5.5 Overall with minimum of 5.0 in all bands or equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion of the Certificate III in Hospitality.
- Indian, Nepalese, Bangladeshi and Pakistan students need satisfactory completion of
Year 12 or overseas equivalent
at 60% in the top 4 subjects (excluding native language) for all courses (ie Cert III, Cert IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Associate Degree) If student has needed to re-sit for their exam provide all exam results.*Not accepting Punjab State Board or Haryana State Board HS results only – need to present a Central Board result exam or a higher qualification.
Work Placement Duration: 100 hours
As part of the Certificate III in Hospitality, students will undertake a total of 200 work placement hours. Students will be expected to commence their work placement in the 2nd half of their Certificate III studies and complete as soon as possible and preferably before the beginning of the Certificate IV in Hospitality. In cases where students cannot complete their placement before commencing their Certificate IV they will need to complete their placement, whilst attending classes for the Certificate IV, starting their Diploma/Advanced Diploma.
- Students may wish to consider a package consisting of Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery, Diploma of Hospitality Management and the Bachelor of Hospitality Management. Students would receive 36 units of credit (approximately 1 year) into the Bachelor, making the Bachelor duration 2 years with a cost of $30,000.
- Students may wish to undertake the Restaurant Management Package consisting of the
• Certificate III in Hospitality
• Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
• Either the Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery or the Certificate IV in Hospitality
• Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
This package includes study of food preparation, hospitality management, front of house, budget, menu and kitchen planning, staff management and financial and business planning and management. The package equips graduates to effectively start, plan and manage restaurants, food or hospitality businesses, having gained knowledge and skills of all key areas of the business. Graduates of the Restaurant Management Program will have a competitive advantage in gaining detailed knowledge and practical skills across both commercial cookery and hospitality.
- Students selecting the Commercial Cookery stream with the addition of the Certificate III in Hospitality will be charged $ 40,000. Students selecting the Hospitality stream with the addition of the Certificate III in Commercial Cookery will be charged $38,000. Both variations of the Restaurant Management Package are 2.5 years or 5 semesters in length. Students adding the Certificate III in Hospitality to the Commercial Cookery stream may complete earlier due to the shorter duration of the work placement. Typically students will complete the two Certificate III courses and then progress to the Certificate IV and Advanced Diploma.
- Students may be able to fast track the 2 year package of courses should they do their work placement during their study and complete in approximately 18 months. Should this occur students will still pay the total program fee.
- Students would typically complete a Hospitality package of a Certificate III in Hospitality, a Certificate IV in Hospitality and an Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management for a total duration of 1.5 academic years (3 semesters). Students will complete part of Certificate III, Certificate IV and part of Advanced Diploma concurrently during the 2rd semester of the package of courses. Students choosing to exit with a Certificate IV (and not complete the Advanced Diploma) will complete the Certificate III & Certificate IV qualifications within 1 academic years.
Possible career opportunities include working as a bar supervisor, team leader, food and beverage supervisor, shift manager.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate IV in Hospitality
This course provides graduates with a broad range of hospitality skills combined with sound knowledge of industry operations. They will be able to operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve problems. They will develop the skills to undertake supervisory responsibilities and plan, monitor and evaluate the work of team members. To complete the qualification you are required to complete all 9 core units and 12 elective units.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
You will only receive a joint offer for TAFE SA and University if you apply for a Packaged University Program. If the University course that you have selected is not part of a Packaged University Offers, you will need to apply separately to the University for your selected degree program.
Studying at TAFE SA is one of the easiest pathways towards a University Degree. Credit Transfer is the formal recognition that parts of a TAFE SA course are equivalent in content and level to parts of some University courses.
Find other TAFE SA Credit Transfer Agreements
|University||University Course||Points||Time Equiv.||Details|
|University of South Australia||Bachelor of Business (Tourism and Event Management)||9 points
These course fees are for international students only.
Total course cost
(17 weeks)||AUD $8000|
* Students will be required to purchase additional learning materials.
The total package costs of Certificate III & IV in Hospitality and Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management is $25,305. In the 1st semester students will be required to pay 50% of the Certificate III fee ($4500). In the 2nd semester of the total package students will be required to pay the remaining 50% of the Certificate III fee ($4500), as well as the total course fee for the Certificate IV ($8000). The fee for the Advanced Diploma will be deferred to the 3rd and final semester of the total package.
Note: TAFE SA does not commit to any fees shown. Charges vary between courses and subjects and are
based on a rate per hour. TAFE SA and their agents reserve the right to make any changes necessary.
Overseas Students Health Cover
All overseas students are required to have Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) insurance for the entire duration of the course. The health cover rate will vary depending on the personal circumstances and duration of stay in Australia. Read more about Overseas Students Health Cover.