How To Apply
- Applications are made to Flinders University on the SATAC University website at http://www.satac.edu.au/pages/university-undergraduate using course code 224901or by clicking onto the Apply now button above.
- The Bachelor of Creative Arts (Fashion) is being offered in conjunction with Flinders University. You will be required to undertake the TAFE SA Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising (MST50116) concurrently with the Bachelor of Creative Arts (Fashion).
- Students will be registered with both TAFE SA and Flinders University. Separate fees apply for each institution. Please see Flinders Uni website for Bachelor fees. The Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Merchandising MST50116 is offered as Full Fee Paying, delivered across 3 semesters, approximate total cost of $15,500.
- You may be eligible for a VET Student Loan for the Diploma and above part of the course. VET Students Loans is an income-contingent loan scheme that assists eligible students to pay for all or part of their Vocational Education and Training (VET) tuition fees when studying one or more eligible VET courses.
In combination with the subjects studied within the Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising, you will study 72 units (16 topics) in the Bachelor of Creative Arts (Fashion).
In Years 1 and 2 you will study:
Culture and the History of Fashion
Patternmaking, Design and Construction
Digital Media and Graphic Design for Fashion
Visual Thinking and Creativity
Event Design and Practice
Textiles Theory and Practice
In Year 3 you will choose one of two streams from: small-scale business (custom/bespoke garment construction); or large-scale business (product design and development).
The first stream will focus on more advanced practical skills and will include advanced design, patternmaking and garment construction and small business topics. The second stream will focus on advanced design and product development and business topics such as: E-business; and Corporate Sustainability in Global Markets.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising (MST50116)
This qualification is intended for assistant design and product development roles in the fashion industry, as well as assistant roles associated with managing fashion product as part of a fashion enterprise. Skills include design and product development, as well as technical production skills to support management and fashion businesses. 9 core units plus 26 electives.
Bachelor of Creative Arts (Fashion)
The Bachelor of Creative Arts (Fashion)* will prepare you to be a professionally qualified fashion industry participant, able to fulfil a broad range of career opportunities in fashion and related industries.
For example, graduates may be employed as fashion designers, product developers, pattern makers, production managers, trend forecasters, stylists and fashion bloggers.
You will have business and entrepreneurial skills enabling you to start your own label and small businesses or to work in large scale fashion enterprises.
You will learn to develop fashion product and work with local, national and international supply chains.
The Bachelor of Creative Arts (Fashion) is designed to equip you with:
an understanding of conceptual design principles and the use of computer aided design technology in the development of fashion designs
- practical skills and understanding of the processes of garment design and construction
- high-level skills to communicate and negotiate with clients, and to undertake collaborative teamwork throughout the design and production process
- the ability to analyse and apply design influences to determine trends and market opportunities
- skills and knowledge to manage design, production and marketing processes and assess the commercial viability of designs
*Students will enrol concurrently in the Flinders' Bachelor of Creative Arts (Costume Design) and the TAFE SA Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising (MST50116).