World Vegan Day is celebrated annually on Tuesday 1 November. For our chefs, cooks, bakers and pastry chefs, creating meals to cater for all dietary requirements is an essential part of the job. Today, we’re sharing our Chocolate Vegan Cake recipe,
and our Lemon Blueberry Muffin recipe (which is also gluten-free), both taught and tested in our training kitchens. Enjoy!
Chocolate Vegan Ganache
300 gm Dark Couverture Chocolate
80 gm Coconut sugar
50 ml Soy Milk
Pinch of Sea Salt
300 gm Silken Tofu
- Melt chocolate then add sugar, milk and salt
- Puree silken tofu until smooth
- Add chocolate mix to tofu and blend
- Adjust with milk if required
Chocolate Vegan Cake
100 gm Wholemeal Flour
130 gm Bakers Flour
3 gm Baking Powder
2 gm Bi-Carb Soda
55 gm Dutch Cocoa
215 ml Soy Milk
105 ml Canola Oil
220 ml Maple Syrup
1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add all wet ingredients together and slowly add to the dry mix.
- Pour and spread into prepared square box frame.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.
- Decorate with vegan ganache.
- Cut into 8 x 3.5 cm pieces.
- Suggested plate up: with orange compote & chocolate garnish.
Lemon Blueberry Vegan Muffins (Gluten-free)
230 gm Blanched Almond Meal
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Sea Salt
6 tablespoons Aquafaba
120gm Maple Syrup
65 gm Coconut Oil (Melted)
Lemon Zest of 2 Lemons
125 gm Blueberries*
Pinch of Almond Flakes
6 Patty Pan Liners
*If using frozen blueberries, defrost first and drain well before adding or mix will be too wet.
- Line muffin tin with paper pan liners
- Blend together almond meal, salt and baking powder, then set aside
- In a separate bowl mix together aquafaba, maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon zest
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and fold well
- Add blue berries and fold evenly but gently
- Place mixture evenly into lined muffin tin
- Top with almond flakes and bake in preheated oven at 175°C for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool
- Garnish with icing (suggested below) and blueberries/almond flakes.
170 gm Vegan Margarine
100 gm Icing Sugar
Lemon Zest of 1 Lemon
Few drops of Vanilla Essence
- In a mixing bowl with a spatula blend the vegan margarine well with icing sugar, pushing down the sides intermittently and beat well until whipped
- Add lemon zest and vanilla, folding through
- place into piping bag with suitable nozzle and pine onto cooled down muffins.
If you're interested in Baking or Cookery, check out our courses.