Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
Do I need OSHC?
All international students need to have OSHC for the duration of their intended studies in Australia. Your visa and confirmation of enrolment forms cannot be issued until you have provided a copy of your OSHC Certificate.
What does it cover?
OSHC covers you for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, emergency ambulance cover, as well as limited cover for medicines. You can also buy additional insurance to cover extras if necessary.
The cost of your OSHC depends on the length of your course. The amount payable for your health cover is shown on your letter of offer.
TAFE SA’s preferred provider is OSHC Allianz Global Assistance because of the following benefits they offer to students:
- Allianz Global Assistance staff member located at TAFE SA's Adelaide campus every Monday from 10am – 1pm to assist with student queries
- Over 540 direct billing partners, which effectively reduce out of pocket expenses for students
- Adjustable visa length cover – if you arrive in Australia earlier or later than expected Allianz will change the dates on the policy to reflect this and potentially save you money
- If you have current policy and you leave Australia for 30 days or longer during a holiday period, you can apply for a holiday credit. Allianz will then extend your policy to reflect the time you were out of Australia
- An OSHC App with features including access to a certificate of insurance, location-based search for doctors, pharmacy aid and medical term translator (30 languages), 24 hour hotline – basic medical, legal and interpretive services
If you or your agent chose to use another provider, you must contact them directly to find out what is covered on your policy and how to make claims.
How do I take out Allianz insurance with TAFE SA?
TAFE SA will quote the amount you need to pay for OSHC for the duration of your studies, in your Offer Letter. You will then be required to pay the amount in advance and TAFE SA will arrange the card for you.
When do I receive my OSHC card?
If TAFE SA has arranged Allianz OSHC for you, you will receive your card during orientation or soon afterwards. If you need medical services before you receive your OSHC card, you can print a temporary certificate from the Allianz Global Assistance OSHC website.
How do I make a claim?
You need to take your OSHC card with you to any doctor’s appointment. You may be required to pay the full cost of the visit up front, but so long as you keep a receipt you will be able to claim a refund from your OSHC provider.
Free health advice
For general health information and referral to local health services contact healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222. This is a FREE 24-hour telephone health advice line. Calls are answered by registered nurses who can provide expert health advice about any health issue.
Further information on OSHC