Skip to content

Applying for a concession fee

Students are eligible for concession if, when enrolling into an eligible government-funded course, they hold a current:

Prisoners in South Australian correctional institutions also receive a concession.

A concession card must be presented at time of enrolment. If you are not in possession of a valid concession card at the time of enrolment, you will be obliged to pay the subsidised rate.

If you are unsure of your eligibility, contact Centrelink before your enrolment.

Many low-income earners are eligible to apply for a Low Income Earner Health Care Card, subject to an assets and means test. Students who think they may be eligible are advised to apply as soon as possible so that a HCC or temporary HCC can be used for a concession.

Unemployment Status

A Centrelink Reference Number (CRN) will be required as evidence of unemployment. 'Unemployed' is defined as a person who is looking for work and accessing any of the following benefits:

  • Youth Allowance
  • Newstart
  • Age Pension
  • Disability Support Pension
  • Parenting Payment (single or partnered)

Employment Services for Job Seekers

Employment Services Providers are contracted by the Commonwealth Government through jobactive to assist job seekers to get and keep a job.

As a job seeker, your jobactive provider can help you to:

  • write a resume
  • look for work
  • prepare for interviews
  • get skills that local employers need
  • find and keep a job.

Living or Working in South Australia

Your residency status affects your eligibility for a concession and subsidised training funded place in a course. At the time of enrolment you must be working or residing in South Australia in addition to one of the following in order to qualify:

  • an Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
  • a permanent Australian resident; or
  • hold a state sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residency

Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) Subsidies for Short Courses

  • The CITB provides access to subsidised training for many short courses to make training more affordable and accessible to the South Australian Building and Construction Industry. 
  • Construction workers can access up to $3,000 worth of subsidised training in any given 12-month period. 
  • TAFE SA is a CITB endorsed Training Provider.
  • To receive the CITB training subsidy you will need a valid CITB number. 

´╗┐Guardianship of the Minister

If you are or have ever been under the guardianship of the Minister and aged 16 and over, your fees will be waived for courses funded through the Government of South Australia's Subsidised Training initiative where you have met the course entry requirements. You may be required to pay for any incidentals where relevant for specialised courses.

You will need to contact Skills SA to verify your Guardianship status. For information regarding this process please contact Support Services on 1800 673 097.
Back to Top