This course will provide students with an overview of the art of millinery.
During the course, students will learn how to:
- produce simple hats
- identify the millinery materials used
- discover the tools required for blocking and shaping
- use steaming and pressing equipment used in millinery
- block and shape to produce hats from beginning to end
The aim of the 8-week Introduction to Millinery course is for students to be able to make the following hats (dependent upon the skill level of each student):
- a felt hat
- a straw hat
- headpiece mounted on a headband
- hat trims to compliment your hats
What to bring: a notepad and pen. Your instructor will use the first class to provide information on the materials used in Millinery, as well as a list of Millinery suppliers in South Australia, to assist you in purchasing your materials for the course.
8 weeks x 2.5 hours
Student Visa (500)
Current VISA holders eligible
Hat blocks, steaming and pressing equipment and sewing machines will be supplied by TAFE SA. Materials used to make the hats will need to be supplied by students.
For more details on short course enrolments, discounts, refunds, international student eligibility and more, please visit
Applying for Short Courses