TAFE SA graduate Aurelie is fashioning a new career in design

Mar 20, 2023

TAFE SA fashion graduate Aurelie Sowerbutts

TAFE SA graduate Aurelie Sowerbutts has successfully swapped one set of figures for another after leaving a career in finance and information technology to pursue an interest in fashion design.

“Sewing is something I’ve always enjoyed, even from school days, and after I got married and had my first child, I thought it was time to do this for myself,” she says.

“At first I wanted to sew for my daughter, but it’s ended up being a journey to find my design aesthetic.”

Aurelie, who completed the Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design and Merchandising at the end of 2022, will showcase her graduate collection in a parade at the inaugural South Australian Fashion Weekend (March 24-26).

“The moment when your work goes down a runway is a moment I always look forward to and cherish,” she says.

“I hope that my work will be received well and understood. I think that's what every designer's dream is.”

Aurelie says her maths background is evident in the structure and geometric shape of her garments and she enjoys manipulating fabrics to create intricate details.

A mum of two, she describes her graduate collection – Playground – as avant-garde and playful streetwear for men and women.

During her study, Aurelie says two key projects have resonated strongly, a racewear collection and a wool project (pictured), and both have influenced her final collection.

“I liked the couture part of the racewear with the delicate fabrics, which I hadn’t used before, and for the wool project I went for more of the playful side of streetwear,” she says.

“The way I dress as well, I really like something bold but also with fine detail, so I tried to find something to bring them together and I found that streetwear is a good platform to bring both together.”

Aurelie says she enjoyed the practical focus of TAFE SA’s Advanced Diploma, which develops skills in pattern making and garment design as well as couture techniques and computer aided design (CAD).

“It provides an overview of the typical lifecycle of the industry from conception to production,” she says.

“Being at TAFE SA was a vital part of figuring out who I am as a designer and, with the helpful aid of industry experienced lecturers, recognising the potential in myself that sometimes I don't see.

“While studying, I was interning at The Sewing Room and Hue Le has also been my mentor in navigating my way in the industry.”

Aurelie is now working with SA designer Cristina Tridente at Couture+Love+Madness where she hopes to further hone her skills and knowledge in the industry.

She is looking forward to being part of the South Australian Fashion Weekend, presented by the SA Fashion Industry Association, alongside other TAFE SA fashion graduates showcasing their designs in the Emerge runway show on March 25. For tickets, visit Try Booking.