English language support
As an enrolled TAFE SA international student, we recommend that you continue to speak, listen, read and write English at every possible opportunity. Being on campus does not necessarily mean that your English will improve. You need to make a conscious effort to practise and incorporate English into your day-to-day activities.
Apart from your study requirements, you must read, read, read - novels, non-fiction, news items on themes that interest you. If you are interested in the topic, you are more likely to read and enjoy the experience of reading.
If you live with others from your country, it is comfortable to speak in your native language when at home. Resist the temptation and encourage yourself and others to speak and listen in English. If you are only practising English in class, it will not be enough to continually improve your English skills.
In class, do not be shy. Ask questions! Sit next to someone who is not from your home country and utilise your English skills to talk and listen to them.
If you need more, TAFE SA offers a range of English language support services to our enrolled international students. These services are as follows:
- Free online tutoring support through Smarthinking, a 24/7 academic tutoring service which provides individualised tutoring and guidance to students. Tutors can help with language, literacy, numeracy, grammar, sentence structure, study and assignment support.
- Free student conversation classes are held fortnightly, during the term/semester, usually within the Adelaide City Campus library. Contact the International Student Support Consultant for timetable details. It is hoped that these classes will also be run at other campuses soon.
- At a cost, short courses in English, (English as a Second Language) are also available and can be studied concurrently with any TAFE SA award course.
In addition to the above, you may wish to consider:
- Visiting your local library which may offer free or gold coin donation English language literacy sessions – conversation, reading and writing classes
- Hire a private tutor at your own expense – contact Student Services or the International Student Support Consultant for assistance with locating a tutor.
For students requiring more formal English language support and training (fees apply):
TAFE SA offers courses from elementary to advanced levels with courses in General English, English for Academic Purposes and English for Academic Purposes Advanced. These courses, depending on your English skill level, range from 5 weeks to 12 months or more. See the English Language Centre for details of English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) offered through the TAFE SA.