Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Do I need OSHC?

It is a condition of the student visa that all international students have OSHC for the duration of their visa.   You may choose to purchase OSHC with the TAFE SA preferred provider OSHC Allianz Global Assistance or purchase your own.  If you purchase your own you must provide proof of OSHC before TAFE SA will issue your confirmation of enrolment form (for your visa).  

What does it cover?

OSHC covers you for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, emergency ambulance cover, as well as limited cover for medicines. You can also buy additional insurance to cover extras if necessary.


The cost of your OSHC depends on the length of your course. The amount payable for your health cover is shown on your letter of offer.  You can get an estimate via the Allianz calculator.



Which provider?

TAFE SA’s preferred provider is OSHC Allianz Global Assistance because of the following benefits they offer to students:

  • Speak to a personal consultant about your membership/claims or via online
  • Over 540 direct billing partners, which effectively reduce out of pocket expenses for students
  • Adjustable visa length cover – if you arrive in Australia earlier or later than expected Allianz will change the dates on the policy to reflect this and potentially save you money
  • If you have current policy and you leave Australia for 30 days or longer during a holiday period, you can apply for a holiday credit. Allianz will then extend your policy to reflect the time you were out of Australia
  • An OSHC App with features including access to a certificate of insurance, location-based search for doctors, pharmacy aid and medical term translator (30 languages), 24 hour hotline – basic medical, legal and interpretive services.

How do I take out Allianz insurance with TAFE SA?

Identify in your application that you would like TAFE SA to arrange your OSHC then you will receive a quote in your Offer Letter.  When you accept your place with TAFE SA and pay the required amount of tuition, if you choose the Allianz cover through TAFE SA, you will be required to pay the full amount for OSHC for the entire duration of your visa.  

When do I receive my OSHC card?

If TAFE SA has arranged Allianz OSHC for you, you will receive your OSHC e-Card and Certificate by email from the Allianz Care Australia.

How do I make a claim?

You need to take your OSHC e-card with you to any doctor’s appointment. Some doctor’s rooms have the immediate claim facility so you would only need to pay the gap between the doctor charge and the claim amount.  Other doctors require you to pay the full cost of the visit up front, and then you can claim online with your OSHC provider. To find a direct billing doctor or information about how to claim the cost by visit non-direct doctors, visit the Allianz Global Assistance website.

Free health advice

For general health information and referral to local health services contact healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222. This is a FREE 24-hour telephone health advice line. Calls are answered by registered nurses who can provide expert health advice about any health issue.

If you or your agent chose to use another provider, you must contact them directly to find out what is covered on your policy and how to make claims and provide TAFE SA proof of your cover through to the end of your student visa.