This beginner level course offers a hands-on introduction to the world of Sake. Join Sake Master, Yukino Ochiai, as we explore the main styles and types of sake through sight, smell and taste to develop an understanding of the key factors affecting flavours and aromas.
What you will learn:
- The main ingredients and production steps used in making sake;
- Key types and speciality categories of sake;
- How to read basic Japanese kanji written on sake labels;
- The processes and principles involved in the storage and service of sake.
Whether you are in industry or an interested consumer, this course will provide you with skills and knowledge to understand and discover more.
Upon successful completion of a multiple choice exam students will receive the Level 1 Award in Sake issued by the UK based Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET®).
Online study offers students the flexibility to complete their study at a time and place that suits them. Blended and custom options are available for Regional or in house and require a minimum number of students.
While WSET online courses are a great option for many, it is important to be aware of the following requirements:
- WSET examinations are not online, students will be required to attend the examination in person. The exam date will be specified at the time of enrolment and is subject to change according to the COVID-19 situation.
- Samples are not included in the cost of an online course.
- Travel for examination and workshop is the responsibility of the student.
How does the WSET Online Classroom work?
- Each course has a set start and finish date, with clear guidelines on progression, however there are no fixed times to log-on as there is no "live" delivery of content. Students can complete their learning at times that suit them.
- Students will learn through a range of independent and/or group activities supported by videos and quizzes, designed to achieve the required learning outcomes to prepare for the examination.
- Throughout the course students will have access to a subject-specialist educator who’ll provide feedback on any assigned exercises and respond to course related queries.
- Students will retain access to the course materials for a year after the course concludes
Specifications for this course can be accessed by clicking on the WSET® logo.
Online - 15th May - 29th May 2023
On Campus exam at TAFESA Adelaide City Campus 15th June 2023 6:00pm
Student Visa (500)
Current VISA holders eligible
Sake samples to be purchased
For more details on short course enrolments, discounts, refunds, international student eligibility and more, please visit
Applying for Short Courses