Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media
|Teaching Duration||36 weeks|
|Course page PDF|
Course Admission Requirements
(for International Applications)
of 5.5 Overall with minimum of 5.0 in all bands or equivalent.
- Successful completion of the Diploma of Screen & Media (same stream)
- Students interested in the Screen & Media course will have the option of choosing 1 of 3 streams:Film and TV Stream, Computer Generated Imaging & Visual Effects (CGI & VFX) or Game Art stream.
Film and TV Stream
The Film and Television stream equips students with comprehensive production and post-production skills required in today's screen industry. Our training focuses on specific crew roles for on-set and location-based productions via current industry practices, which include:
Pre-production: management including budgeting and scheduling, contracts and location management
Production: including creative and technical skilling across several roles such as camera, lighting and sound recording
Post-production: editing including technical and creative skills regarding telling the story with images and sound design, editing and mixing.
Campus: Adelaide City Arts (AC Arts)
Computer Generated Imaging & Visual Effects Stream (CGI & VFX)
This stream is for students that want to excel in the field of visual effects and 3D computer animation for television and cinema. It is essentially two courses rolled into one: TV production and 3D computer animation (incorporating Visual Effects). Students are taught the practical and theoretical aspects of the movie and television making process so that they understand where computer-generated imagery fits in the workflow of a production. With a hands-on practical approach by our passionate teaching staff, students get to use industry-standard 2D and 3D software and broadcast-standard hardware.
Campus: Adelaide City and moving to Adelaide City Arts (AC Arts) Semester 1, 2018
Game Art Stream
As a game art student you will learn the skills required of artists in game development. Game artists are chiefly modellers and texturers but also have a broad knowledge of the game development process. This course puts particular emphasis on modelling, texturing, concept development and drawing. Students develop skills and knowledge in these key areas as well as project management, team work, simulations industry and a variety of delivery platforms.
Campus: Tea Tree Gully (this course will move to AC Arts for Semester 1, 2018 commencement)
*The 3 streams are very different, therefore students cannot swap from a diploma of one stream into the advanced diploma of another stream. Students will need to list their preferred preference when applying to TAFE SA.
- The Computer Generated Imaging & Visual Effects (CGI&VFX) Stream is currently taught at Adelaide City Campus, but will move to Adelaide City Arts (AC Arts) Campus. In Semester 1, 2018.
- The Game Art Stream is currently being taught at Tea Tree Gully Campus, and will move to AC Arts for Semester 1, 2018 commencement.
- The Film & TV Stream is currently being taught at Adelaide City Arts (AC Arts) Campus.
- Students would typically complete a package of courses, made up of the Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media (2 semesters) and the Diploma of Screen and Media (2 semesters) for a total duration of 2 academic years (4 semesters). The cost of this package of courses is $27000.
How to Apply
International Course - application process
If you are applying from onshore, generally, you will need to apply for an international course to TAFE South Australia at least two months before you want to start your studies in Australia. If you are applying from offshore it is highly recommended that you apply at least four months in advance.
Read more about:
Note: You must be an International resident to apply for this course.
For Australian residents please visit TAFE SA Courses.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
Packaged University Offer
This course is available as a Packaged University Offer. The University program(s) for this course: Bachelor of Media at the University of Adelaide or Bachelor of Creative Arts (Screen) at Flinders University.
This allows students to accept a joint packaged offer with a local South Australian University, and upon successful completion of TAFE SA qualification, the student is eligible for a guaranteed entry into a nominated University Program. Find out more about Packaged University Offers.
The benefits of a Packaged University Offer include:
- Students will be able to apply for a single visa for the entire duration of both programs
- Guaranteed entry into selected University Programs
- Guaranteed credits shorten the duration of qualifications and reduces tuition fees over the total duration of study program
- Graduate with a dual qualification from both TAFE SA and a University (for example Advanced Diploma/Bachelor Degree)
- Graduate with a competitive mix of practical and theoretical skills
See relevant Credit Transfer details below.
Studying at TAFE SA is one of the easiest pathways towards a University Degree. Credit Transfer is the formal recognition that parts of a TAFE SA course are equivalent in content and level to parts of some University courses.
Below are the Credit Transfer details for this course.
TAFE SA Credit Transfer Agreements
These course fees are for international students only.
|Tuition Fees||Incidental Fees|
|Semester 1||AUD $6750||-|
|Semester 2||AUD $6750||-|
|Fee Totals||AUD $13500||-|
|Total Course Cost||AUD $13500|
Note: TAFE SA does not commit to any fees shown. Charges vary between courses and subjects and are
based on a rate per hour. TAFE SA and their agents reserve the right to make any changes necessary.
Overseas Health Cover
All overseas students are required to have Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) insurance for the entire duration of the course. The health cover rate will vary depending on the personal circumstances and duration of stay in Australia. Read more about Overseas Health Cover.