Melanie finds her niche working in community services

Mar 01, 2022

TAFE SA community services student Melanie Bassham

Melanie Bassham is embracing her mid-life career change and credits TAFE SA with helping her develop the skills and knowledge she needs to work in community services.

Melanie, the face of TAFE SA’s Community Services course enrolment campaign, had a long career in hospitality and tourism before returning to the classroom to study a Certificate IV in Community Services.

Meeting a man experiencing homelessness and hearing about his journey helped inspire Melanie to make the career move and fulfill a life-long desire to work in domestic violence support services.

Last year her story was featured in Solstice Media’s Regional Showcase series and she was a finalist in their annual awards.

Melanie studied at TAFE SA’s Regency Campus where she says she enjoyed the dynamics of the class group and being with likeminded people, as well as “understanding more about myself and trusting my abilities”.

‘I can’t speak highly enough about the lecturers. Each and every one was sharing exceptional experience and knowledge that is relevant,” Melanie says.

“They were flexible, kind, understanding, and incredibly approachable and supportive.”

As part of her course, Melanie undertook a work placement at Bower Place and says it provided a broad understanding of how diverse the community services sector is.

“My time in work placement within the course identified the boundaries I was to work within as a support worker, the breadth of employment diversity and advocacy for our human rights in active portrayal,” she says.

“Despite being impacted by a state-wide lockdown, I was able to draw on my time effectively, and I continue to use the education and experience in my volunteer and paid roles today.”

Melanie volunteers across Murray Bridge helping those in need, including people experiencing homelessness, financial vulnerability, and domestic and family violence, as well as supporting a range of other community services.

She is also continuing her education with TAFE SA and has enrolled in the Diploma of Community Services at the Murray Bridge Campus.

“I honestly don’t know how I managed to hit the payload when it comes to happiness, achievement, support and potential by enrolling and working through the Certificate IV in Community Services,” she says.

“I can’t recommend this course enough for those who wish to work in this sector. TAFE SA will provide excellence in service delivery, support and empowerment.”