Course Notes & Special Requirements
- If there are more applicants than available places, TAFE SA will make offers based on date of application.
How to Apply
Note: You must be an Australian Resident to apply for this course.
For International Students please visit International Courses.
Certificates IV in Auslan aims to continue the development of the Auslan communication skills for a variety of situations – eg casual conversation with deaf family and friends, communication with deaf colleagues and clients at work and preparation for further formal Auslan language study, including interpreter training, teacher of the Deaf and many more!
This qualification will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to use Auslan in a range of specialised workplace exchanges across personal, learning, employment, social and community contexts. You will also have an in-depth knowledge of deaf protocol and customs in complex information and the ability to adjust signing styles to suit a specified audience.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate IV in Auslan
- Use complex Auslan for social and community purposes
- Conduct individual research project
- Use complex Auslan for employment purposes
- Use complex Auslan for personal purposes
- Compare the structure of sentences in Auslan and English
- Apply concepts of deaf blindness
- Identify the significance of sport in the deaf community
- Compare other sign languages and communication with Auslan
- Identify conditions and requirements for sign language interpreting.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
This course is subsidised through the Government of South Australia's WorkReady initiative.
To access subsidised training through WorkReady, your suitability to complete the qualification will be assessed. This may include participation in a Language, Literacy and Numeracy pre-assessment.
This course is funded through the Government of South Australia's WorkReady initiative. To find out if you may be eligible for
this funding please visit the TAFE SA website.
There may be incidental fees for additional expenses to those required to complete the course. For example for equipment,
transport or accommodation.
To help with the payment of your fees, you may be able to pay your fees by instalments. To find out more please visit:
You may also be eligible for a fee concession if you hold a current:
- Health Care Card
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Veterans Affairs Card
or if you are a prisoner in a South Australian correctional institution.
To find out more please visit: www.tafesa.edu.au/concession