Emilly’s creative talents recognised with graphic design awards

Dec 20, 2023

Emilly Daws with Vido Cappelletto at Disclose

Attention to detail and a love of research have helped Emilly Daws take out all three awards at this year’s TAFE SA Graphic Design Graduate Show, Disclose.

Emilly’s portfolio of student work was recognised with awards from the Adelaide Advertising and Design Club (AADC), The Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA) and TAFE SA alumni.

The young designer says she is grateful for the industry recognition and excited about the prizes which include a week of paid work experience, a portfolio review and mentoring by industry professionals, and AGDA membership.

“The graduation event was such a good night and I’m very happy with how it all went,” she says.

“My intention isn’t to win awards but to create my best work, pieces that I’m really happy with, and the awards are a lovely bonus for the hard work that has gone into each project.”

Emilly studied science at university before deciding to pursue her interest in art and find a more creative career pathway.

“A friend suggested I look into graphic design, and I thought it sounded interesting, so I did some research and enrolled in the Certificate IV course at TAFE SA and I absolutely loved it,” she says.

Graphic-design Emilly's poster

Emilly has gone on to complete the Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Graphic Design and is looking forward to applying the skills she’s learnt in the industry.

She says a keen interest in research underpins her approach to graphic design and she thrives on the “creative puzzle” of working to a client’s brief and producing effective visual communication.

“What I find in the research guides my design and everything I include in the design is there for a reason,” Emilly says. “It’s interesting where inspiration can come from.”

Among her favourite student projects was a poster design to advertise the AADC’s AdMental event, held in November, which helps raise awareness about mental health and wellbeing.

Emilly’s poster, which featured strips of camera film curled and arranged in the shape of a brain, was chosen to promote the event and at the AADC’s annual awards night, she received the Craft Award for the same design.

The poster design competition, a collaboration with AADC, forms part of the course work for TAFE SA’s Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design students and Emilly says it’s just one example of the opportunities offered through the course.

“TAFE SA was the perfect learning environment for me; my lecturers were so supportive and knowledgeable, while my classmates have become friends and I’ve made industry connections as well,” she says.