Ramatou gains technical skills for role in defence industry

Dec 13, 2023

Ramatou Baker is studying the Diploma of Engineering - Technical.

Studying the Diploma of Engineering – Technical at TAFE SA has been the catalyst for a career change for former retail worker Ramatou Baker who is using her new skills in the defence sector.

Ramatou has recently joined BAE Systems Maritime Australia as a draftsperson in the detail design team working on the Hunter Class Frigate Program.

“I’m loving every minute of it. It is a great opportunity for me to work alongside a great team which is comprised of many people with different backgrounds within the shipbuilding industry, defence and civil engineering,” she says.

TAFE SA’s Diploma of Engineering – Technical prepares students for work in engineering design and Ramatou says the skills she’s gained in CAD programs have been especially useful in her new role.

“We produce mostly drawings that are submitted to boilermakers on the shop floor of the production line to then manufacture parts for the Hunter Class Frigate Program,” she says.

Previously, Ramatou was working in retail and contemplating a visual arts course but after the COVID-19 pandemic and associated restrictions, she started to think differently about her career plans.

“I studied with a bigger picture in mind to achieve my goal. To be up to date and attractive to employers, we need to learn the skills that are in demand,” she says.

She enrolled in the Diploma of Engineering – Technical to equip herself with transferable skills and says the course appealed to her because it offered multiple career pathways.

“I was always fascinated by engineering and how mechanical machinery operates. I also wanted to learn new skills and increase the little mechanical knowledge I had,” she says.

While studying the Diploma course, Ramatou also completed a Trades Assistant Program, co-delivered by TAFE SA and the Naval Shipbuilding College, and a Certificate II in Engineering Pathways to expand her knowledge and skills.

“Through my evening class at TAFE SA I heard about the Trades Assistant (TA) Program which was a short course offered at the Naval Shipbuilding College, which is now unfortunately closed in Adelaide,” she says.

“Through the TA program I gained an understanding of the naval shipbuilding industry and discovered the countless jobs required to construct a fully functional ship.

“From there I could choose to be a TA however I wanted to complete a Certificate II in Engineering Pathways to get some knowledge in the use of tools from a boilermaker’s perspective.

“The choices that I made along the way led me to the role with BAE Systems Maritime Australia.”

Ramatou says she enjoyed the hands-on training provided at TAFE SA and appreciated learning up-to-date industry information such as safe work practices.

“The lecturers are approachable and all knowledgeable from their fields of expertise and can provide real life examples,” she says.

“TAFE SA offers an opportunity for anyone willing to learn to be able to try out and experiment with career pathways.”