Graduate exhibition unveils emerging arts talent

Dec 11, 2023

Ceramics by arts graduate Adrian Mitton

Visual arts graduates are presenting a diverse mix of themes and approaches to art making in their thought-provoking exhibition, Imminent.

The showcase of emerging talent includes painting and printmaking, ceramics, jewellery, sculpture and photography created by graduates of the Bachelor of Creative Arts – Visual Arts, a dual award offered by TAFE SA and Flinders University.

Graduate Adrian Mitton has produced a series of ceramic pots influenced by traditional Korean and Japanese ceramic practices and the historic and cultural factors that have impacted them.

Adrian’s collection, entitled Place and Replace, includes two large vessels, inspired by Korean Kimchi making pots as well as a series of much smaller vessels created using a coil and throw method.

“I’ve also explored incorporating tactility in the large vessels, and the resulting actions of the audience (who are encouraged to touch the objects) embody the ideas of the work," Adrian says.

Adrian has replicated a traditional Korean glaze, which uses ash and leaf mulch, creating a glossy finish on the vessels and the larger pots have been further embellished using a leaf masking technique.

In keeping with tradition, he has imbued a sense of place by using South Australian mined terracotta clay and local flora for the decorative elements.

Adrian, who has a background in floristry, has used the creative process to not only consider the cultural factors impacting ceramics practices over time but also to explore his place as a potter.

“I didn’t start the course with the aim of being a visual artist, I wanted to learn how to make pots but over the course of my studies I’ve realised that I don’t just want to make pots, I want to make art,” he says.

AI

Adrian’s classmate Abbey Elaine hopes to generate a discussion about Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its role in the arts industry through her graduate work, entitled Algorithmic Anatomy.

A large-scale painting features a series of different figures, inspired by AI images generated from an initial portrait of the artist, and is accompanied by a small sculptural work.

Together, the artworks explore themes of self-image, media literacy and the morality of AI.

“At first I thought I was going to hate AI, but through my research and creating this work, I’ve come to a more moderate view and I think it’s going to be a tool that we can use,” Abbey says.

“Through this work I’m aiming to start a conversation; it’s an emerging issue and it’s important that we have a discussion about its role in the arts industry.”

Abbey’s canvas measures 1.5m x 2.5m and is the largest painting she’s produced to date.

“I used to work small and be quite particular, but I really wanted to end my course with something big and I think the scale of the painting demonstrates the self-confidence I’ve developed during my time at art school,” Abbey says.

Imminent, the Visual Arts Graduate Exhibition 2023, is at Light Square Gallery, Adelaide College of the Arts, 39 Light Square, Adelaide, until December 15.