TAFE SA collects and stores the personal information of students in order to administer applications, enrolments and academic progress and to provide other services to students. This information is managed in accordance with the Information Privacy Principles Instructions issued by the Department of the Premier and Cabinet.
All matters relating to your admission, assessment, progress, course completion, learning difficulties, personal needs and any discussions or negotiations concerning such matters will be treated strictly in confidence. TAFE SA will endeavour to meet your needs regardless of your gender, ethnicity, age, disability, or background, without divulging your personal details unless required by law.
TAFE SA ensures that the personal information it collects:
- is not excessive
- is relevant to the purpose
- is authorised or required by law
- is as up to date, accurate and complete as possible
- does not intrude unreasonably into your personal affairs.
Your personal information is securely stored against loss or unauthorised access, and is not misused. In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act, 1991, you are able to access your own student files and make changes to your personal information for accuracy, completeness, relevancy or currency.
Your personal information will not be distributed or used for other purposes unless:
- you have given permission
- TAFE SA believes using the information is necessary to prevent or reduce a threat to your life, health or safety
- the use or disclosure is required by law
- the use is reasonably necessary to enforce the Criminal Law Act
- the use is required by law to be provided to other government departments or statutory bodies.
Students should contact their lecturer if they wish to obtain access to basic personal information held by TAFE. However, the Freedom of Information Act 1991 (the FOI Act) also gives members of the public a legally enforceable right to access documents held by the government (subject to some exemptions), including a right to access documents regarding a student’s personal affairs held by TAFE SA. The FOI Act also sets out the process by which a student (or other member of public) can apply to TAFE for amendment of TAFE’s records regarding the person’s personal affairs if the person believes that the information is incomplete, incorrect, out of date or misleading. Forms and further information regarding these processes can be accessed at : http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/foi/ ). In some circumstances, fees are payable before documents are released. The completed form (and any relevant fee) should be submitted in hardcopy to:
Senior Consultant, FOI and Copyright
Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology
GPO Box 320
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Your academic information, including your results, is not made available to other interested parties unless:
- you are under a contract of training, in which case your employer is legally entitled to receive a copy
- TAFE SA is directed to provide academic information by a court order or similar
- you have signed a declaration giving TAFE SA the authority to forward academic information to another person or party
- you are undertaking training outside a training contract under an employer/employee agreement for which your employer is responsible for the fees and has signed a declaration to that effect
- you are a minor and the person/s are your legal guardians
- the agency requesting information is subcontracting the training to TAFE SA, which is required to provide results to the agency.
Obtaining past results and qualifications
To obtain academic records
Contact the program area where you studied your course.
Replacing qualifications gained since 1 Jan 1995
To replace lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed records, complete the Application for Parchment Replacement form and send it to the program area where you studied. A $50 fee applies. Contact TAFE SA information on 1800 882 661 for assistance.
Replacing qualifications gained before 1995
To replace lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed records, an extract showing proof of completion can be provided by sending the completed Application for Extract form. A $30 fee applies. Contact TAFE SA information on 1800 882 661 for assistance.
Retrieval of student records that were made prior to the use of electronic record-keeping systems may not be possible.