Diploma of Nursing
|Teaching Duration||66 weeks|
(2 Semesters is 1 academic year)
|Course Type||Training Package Qualification|
Example Career Profile||Nurse (Enrolled)Nurse (Enrolled)|
|Course page PDF
This course equips you with the knowledge and skills required to provide effective nursing care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. The course focuses on developing caring, reflective practitioners who are able to integrate theory with practice, problem solve and work in a collaborative team environment.
Course Admission Requirements
(for International Applications)
- An academic
of 7.0 overall with minimum of 7.0 in all bands or equivalent test to enter the standalone Diploma of Nursing.
- Students seeking a packaged offer with the Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Health Science at the University of South Australia or Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-Registration)at Flinders University or Bachelor of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Adelaide also require an academic
of 7.0 overall with minimum of 7.0 in all bands or equivalent for entry into the Diploma of Nursing at TAFE SA. See note for further details on package.
- Satisfactory completion of Year 12, including satisfactory result in Year 12 Maths subject, or overseas equivalent; or the successful completion of the Certificate IV in Preparation for Health and Nursing Studies plus English requirement (An academic
of 7.0 overall with minimum of 7.0 in all bands or equivalent) and
- Ability to meet the physical demands of nursing work, particularly the requirements of manual handling.
Work Placement Duration: 400 hours
Professional Placement Experience for a total of 400 hours minimum, will be required to complete the qualification. This will occur across a range of clinical setting including but not limited to: residential aged care, primary health and acute medical and surgical areas.
- Graduates from the Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) will need to successfully complete the Certificate IV in Preparation for Health and Nursing Studies to gain entry into the Diploma of Nursing.
- *University Packaged offers at University of South Australia and Flinders are available for July intake only. #University Packaged offers at University of Adelaide are available for January and July intake.
- This qualification satisfies the academic requirements to be eligible to apply for registration through AHPRA. Graduates will also be required to complete other requirements of registration including gaining a successful International Criminal History Check See http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Criminal-history-checks/International-Criminal-History.aspx for further details.
For more specific information regarding registration requirements for Nursing can be sourced at http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement.aspx
- For UniSA Packaged course -
Diploma of Nursing graduates, registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) without restrictions on their license and with a current practicing certificate will be eligible for 36 units of block credit transfer into the Bachelor of Nursing. Diploma of Nursing graduates who do not have NMBA Registration (as an Enrolled Nurse) may be eligible for 18 units of block credit into the Bachelor of Nursing.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Diploma of Nursing
Knowledge and skills will be developed in areas including communication, cultural diversity, law and ethics, anatomy and physiology, acute and chronic health disorders, clinical nursing skills and medication management. To complete the qualification you are required to complete all 20 core units and 5 elective units.
NOTE: 400 hours of Professional Experience Placement will be required.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
Packaged University Offer
This course is available as a Packaged University Offer. The University program(s) for this course: Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Health Science at the University of South Australia or Bachelor of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Adelaide or Bachelor of Nursing(Pre-Registration)at Flinders University.
This allows students to accept a joint packaged offer with a local South Australian University, and upon successful completion of TAFE SA qualification, the student is eligible for a guaranteed entry into a nominated University Program. Find out more about Packaged University Offers.
The benefits of a Packaged University Offer include:
- Students will be able to apply for a single visa for the entire duration of both programs
- Guaranteed entry into selected University Programs
- Guaranteed credits shorten the duration of qualifications and reduces tuition fees over the total duration of study program
- Graduate with a dual qualification from both TAFE SA and a University (for example Advanced Diploma/Bachelor Degree)
- Graduate with a competitive mix of practical and theoretical skills
See relevant Credit Transfer details below.
You will only receive a joint offer for TAFE SA and University if you apply for a Packaged University Program. If the University course that you have selected is not part of a Packaged University Offers, you will need to apply separately to the University for your selected degree program.
Studying at TAFE SA is one of the easiest pathways towards a University Degree. Credit Transfer is the formal recognition that parts of a TAFE SA course are equivalent in content and level to parts of some University courses.
Find other TAFE SA Credit Transfer Agreements
|University||University Course||Points||Time Equiv.||Details|
|Flinders University||Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-Registration)||36 points
|TAFE SA Higher Education||Associate Degree in Primary Health and Wellbeing||36 points
|University of Adelaide||Bachelor of Health and Medical Sciences||12 points
|University of South Australia||Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-Registration)||36 points
| ||Bachelor of Health Science||18 points
These course fees are for international students only.
|Tuition Fees||Incidental Fees|
|Semester 1||AUD $7666||-|
|Semester 2||AUD $7667||-|
|Semester 3||AUD $7667||-|
|Fee Totals||AUD $23000||-|
|Total Course Cost||AUD $23000|
* Students will be required to pay for their own Criminal History Checks.
Note: TAFE SA does not commit to any fees shown. Charges vary between courses and subjects and are
based on a rate per hour. TAFE SA and their agents reserve the right to make any changes necessary.
Overseas Students Health Cover
All overseas students are required to have Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) insurance for the entire duration of the course. The health cover rate will vary depending on the personal circumstances and duration of stay in Australia. Read more about Overseas Students Health Cover.