English for Academic Purposes Advanced
|Teaching Duration||20 weeks|
(2 Semesters is 1 academic year)
|Course Type||Non Award Course|
|Course page PDF
Course Admission Requirements
(for International Applications)
- General or Academic
of 5.5 Overall with minimum of 5.5 in reading and writing and 5.0 in listening and speaking or equivalent for 20 weeks duration or General or Academic
of 6.0 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in reading and writing and 5.5 in listening and speaking or equivalent for 10 weeks duration.
- Satisfactory completion of Year 11 or overseas equivalent.
- Students with an entry level of General or Academic IELTS 5.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in reading and writing and 5.0 in listening and speaking or equivalent will commence in Term 1 (January) or Term 3 (July) for 20 weeks.
Students with an entry level of General or Academic IELTS 6.0 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in reading and writing and 5.5 in listening and speaking or equivalent will commence in Term 2 (April) or Term 4 (September/October) for 10 weeks.
- Local university acceptance of this course:
University of South Australia - Students who have successfully gained a P result (together with a Letter of Recommendation) in the TAFE SA English for Academic Purposes Advanced (after 10 weeks) are assumed to have the equivalent of an overall IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 6.0 in reading and writing.
University of South Australia -Students who have successfully gained a P result (together with a Letter of Recommendation) in the TAFE SA English for Academic Purposes Advanced (Part 2) are assumed to have the equivalent of an overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.5 in reading and writing.
University of Adelaide - Students who have successfully completed the TAFE SA English for Academic Purposes - Advanced (20 weeks) are assumed to have the equivalent of an overall IELTS score of 6.5.
How to Apply
International Course - application process
If you are applying from onshore, generally, you will need to apply for an international course to TAFE South Australia at least two months before you want to start your studies in Australia. If you are applying from offshore it is highly recommended that you apply at least four months in advance.
Read more about:
Note: You must be an International resident to apply for this course.
For Australian residents please visit TAFE SA Courses.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
English for Academic Purposes Advanced
This course is aimed at students who require advanced English language skills for TAFESA or university study at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
The following skills are covered:
- Academic listening, speaking, reading & writing in preparation for
- Seminar & tutorial skills
- Academic lectures and talks by guest lecturers
- Research and Academic study skills
- Time management, group work and critical thinking
The course utilises Australian tertiary-level materials, learning situations, requirements and assessment tasks.
Weekly classwork consists of 20 hours face-to-face tuition. Students have access to an extensive range of resources and digital learning materials.
- A Pass result at the end of Part 1 (weeks 1-10) is considered to be
equivalent to IELTS 6.
- A Pass result at the end of Part 2 (weeks 11-20) is considered to be
equivalent to IELTS 6.5.
- A Credit result at the end of Part 2 is considered to be equivalent to
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
Packaged University Offer
This course is available as a Packaged University Offer. The University program(s) for this course: any undergraduate University of South Australia program requiring the equivalent of an overall IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 6.0 in reading and writing. Students must successfully gain a P result (together with a Letter of Recommendation from the TAFE SA Principal Lecturer). In addition, students seeking entry to the University of South Australia, for programs with an IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.5 in reading and writing, will be required to complete Part 2 of the EAP Advanced and achieve a P on all aspects in the final report (together with a Letter of Recommendation).
This allows students to accept a joint packaged offer with a local South Australian University, and upon successful completion of TAFE SA qualification, the student is eligible for a guaranteed entry into a nominated University Program. Find out more about Packaged University Offers.
The benefits of a Packaged University Offer include:
- Students will be able to apply for a single visa for the entire duration of both programs
- Guaranteed entry into selected University Programs
- Guaranteed credits shorten the duration of qualifications and reduces tuition fees over the total duration of study program
- Graduate with a dual qualification from both TAFE SA and a University (for example Advanced Diploma/Bachelor Degree)
- Graduate with a competitive mix of practical and theoretical skills
See relevant Credit Transfer details below.
These course fees are for international students only.
Total course cost
(22 weeks)||AUD $7000|
Note: TAFE SA does not commit to any fees shown. Charges vary between courses and subjects and are
based on a rate per hour. TAFE SA and their agents reserve the right to make any changes necessary.
Overseas Health Cover
All overseas students are required to have Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) insurance for the entire duration of the course. The health cover rate will vary depending on the personal circumstances and duration of stay in Australia. Read more about Overseas Health Cover.
TAFE SA International offers an optional Arrival & Pick up and/or Accommodation Service. For further details please contact us.