English for Academic Purposes 20
|Teaching Duration||20 weeks|
(2 Semesters is 1 academic year)
|Course Type||Non Award Course|
|Course page PDF
Course Admission Requirements
(for International Applications)
- A general or academic
of 4.5 with a minimum of 4.5 in all bands. Any student wishing to enter an award course which requires 6.0 IELTS or equivalent entry will need to enter EAP 20 with 5.0 IELTS in all bands.
- Students who need to exit this qualification with an IELTS of 5.5 (a Pass grade) will either need:
a) an entry level of General or Academic IELTS 4.5 overall with a minimum of 4.5 in all bands or equivalent and commence in Term 1 (January) or Term 3 (July) for 20 weeks.
b) an entry level of General or Academic IELTS 5.0 overall with a minimum of 5.0 in reading and writing and 4.5 in listening and speaking or equivalent and commence in Term 2 (April) or Term 4 (September/October) for 10 weeks.
- Students who need to exit this qualification with an IELTS 6.0 (a Credit grade) will either need:
a) an entry level of General or Academic IELTS 5.0 overall with a minimum of 5.0 in reading and writing and 4.5 in speaking and listening or equivalent and commence in Term 1 (January) or Term 3 (July) for 20 weeks.
b) an entry level of General or Academic IELTS 5.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in reading and writing and 5.0 in listening and speaking or equivalent and commence in Term 2 (April) or Term 4 (September/October) for 10 weeks.
- Local university acceptance of this course:
University of South Australia - Students who have successfully completed the TAFE SA English for Academic Purposes (EAP 20) program with a Credit result, will be recognised as meeting the UniSA undergraduate program entry, where the standard is IELTS 6.
How to Apply
International Course - application process
If you are applying from onshore, generally, you will need to apply for an international course to TAFE South Australia at least two months before you want to start your studies in Australia. If you are applying from offshore it is highly recommended that you apply at least four months in advance.
Read more about:
Note: You must be an International resident to apply for this course.
For Australian residents please visit TAFE SA Courses.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
English for Academic Purposes 20
This course is aimed at students who require academic English language skills for TAFESA or university study at undergraduate level.
The following skills and activities are covered:
- Academic listening, speaking, reading & writing in preparation for
- Research and Academic study skills
- Time management, group work and critical thinking
- Developing specific vocabulary
- A visit to a chosen TAFESA award course
Weekly classwork consists of 20 hours face-to-face tuition. Students have access to an extensive range of resources and digital learning materials.
- A pass at the end of this course (week 20) is considered to be
equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
- A Credit result is considered to be equivalent to IELTS 6.
Successful completion of the course gives direct entry to most TAFE SA award courses.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
Packaged University Offer
This course is available as a Packaged University Offer. The University program(s) for this course: any undergraduate program requiring a minimum IELTS of 6.0 overall at the University of South Australia. Students must achieve a credit or higher in the EAP20 course.
This allows students to accept a joint packaged offer with a local South Australian University, and upon successful completion of TAFE SA qualification, the student is eligible for a guaranteed entry into a nominated University Program. Find out more about Packaged University Offers.
The benefits of a Packaged University Offer include:
- Students will be able to apply for a single visa for the entire duration of both programs
- Guaranteed entry into selected University Programs
- Guaranteed credits shorten the duration of qualifications and reduces tuition fees over the total duration of study program
- Graduate with a dual qualification from both TAFE SA and a University (for example Advanced Diploma/Bachelor Degree)
- Graduate with a competitive mix of practical and theoretical skills
See relevant Credit Transfer details below.
These course fees are for international students only.
Total course cost
(20 weeks)||AUD $7000|
Note: TAFE SA does not commit to any fees shown. Charges vary between courses and subjects and are
based on a rate per hour. TAFE SA and their agents reserve the right to make any changes necessary.
Overseas Health Cover
All overseas students are required to have Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) insurance for the entire duration of the course. The health cover rate will vary depending on the personal circumstances and duration of stay in Australia. Read more about Overseas Health Cover.
TAFE SA International offers an optional Arrival & Pick up and/or Accommodation Service. For further details please contact us.