Diploma of Software Development
|Teaching Duration||32 weeks|
Example Career Profile||ICT Software EngineerICT Software Engineer|
|Course page PDF|
This course provides you with advanced skills and knowledge to be highly competent in programming and software development. You will create new software products to meet an initial project brief or customise existing software products to meet customer needs. There is a focus on mobile application development with a Windows Mobile development subject with C#, an Android mobile development subject with Java and an iPhone/iPad development subject with Objective C. Web application development is included in the three key approaches: PHP/MySQL, Java and C#.NET. The diploma final stage includes a cloud computing subject.
Course Admission Requirements
(for International Applications)
of 5.5 Overall with minimum of 5.0 in all bands or equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion of the Certificate IV in Programming.
Work Placement Duration: 210 hours
- Students have 2 entry options (entry criteria apply):
1. Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology (1 Semester), Certificate IV in Programming (1 Semester) and Diploma of Software Development (2 Semesters), 2 years (minimum Year 10 or overseas equivalent)
2. Certificate IV in Programming (2 Semesters) and Diploma of Software Development (2 Semesters), 2 years (minimum Year 11 or overseas equivalent)
Students will receive a COE and parchment for all qualifications within their chosen option.
- Students will undertake 210 hours of work placement.
- *University Packaged offers are available for January and July intakes only.
How to Apply
International Course - application process
If you are applying from onshore, generally, you will need to apply for an international course to TAFE South Australia at least two months before you want to start your studies in Australia. If you are applying from offshore it is highly recommended that you apply at least four months in advance.
Read more about:
Note:You must be an International resident to apply for this course.
For Australian residents please visit TAFE SA Courses.
Career opportunities include analyst programmer support, programming developer, software applications programmer, software developer, database support programmer, web support programmer.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Diploma of Software Development
This course provides skills in copyright, ethics, privacy, programming, object-oriented language, software management tools, debugging, testing and deploying to a production environment. To complete the qualification you are required to complete all 10 core units and 6 elective units.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
Packaged University Offer
This course is available as a Packaged University Offer. The University program(s) for this course: Bachelor of Information Technology (specialising in either Software Development, Games & Entertainment Design, Mobile Application Development, Networking & Cybersecurity or Systems Administration) or Bachelor of Software Engineering (Honours) at the University of South Australia
This allows students to accept a joint packaged offer with a local South Australian University, and upon successful completion of TAFE SA qualification, the student is eligible for a guaranteed entry into a nominated University Program. Find out more about Packaged University Offers.
The benefits of a Packaged University Offer include:
- Students will be able to apply for a single visa for the entire duration of both programs
- Guaranteed entry into selected University Programs
- Guaranteed credits shorten the duration of qualifications and reduces tuition fees over the total duration of study program
- Graduate with a dual qualification from both TAFE SA and a University (for example Advanced Diploma/Bachelor Degree)
- Graduate with a competitive mix of practical and theoretical skills
See relevant Credit Transfer details below.
Studying at TAFE SA is one of the easiest pathways towards a University Degree. Credit Transfer is the formal recognition that parts of a TAFE SA course are equivalent in content and level to parts of some University courses.
Below are the Credit Transfer details for this course.
TAFE SA Credit Transfer Agreements
These course fees are for international students only.
|Tuition Fees||Incidental Fees|
|Semester 1||AUD $6600||-|
|Semester 2||AUD $6600||-|
|Fee Totals||AUD $13200||-|
|Total Course Cost||AUD $13200|
Note:TAFE SA does not commit to any fees shown. Charges vary between courses and subjects and are
based on a rate per hour. TAFE SA and their agents reserve the right to make any changes necessary.
Overseas Students Health Cover
All overseas students are required to have Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) insurance for the entire duration of the course. The health cover rate will vary depending on the personal circumstances and duration of stay in Australia. Read more about Overseas Students Health Cover.