TAFE SA interns go behind the scenes at the Adelaide Fringe

Mar 24, 2021

Dana and Waldah at the Adelaide Fringe

The annual Adelaide Fringe is always a hit with crowds looking to unwind and be entertained, but it’s also a “pretty cool” place to work, according to TAFE SA students Dana Yeaman and Waldah Mbabazi.

The students have just completed internships at this year’s event through a partnership between TAFE SA and Adelaide Fringe.

Dana has been working with the events team and assisting with Fringe on Tour, a job that has taken her to Victor Harbor and across metropolitan Adelaide.

“We work with local councils to set up a day of activities and I’ve been involved in the background,” she says.

“I’ve been a point of contact for the artists, created information packs and drafted MC notes.

“Going to the events is really cool because you can see it all come together.”

Dana is studying a Diploma of Event Management with TAFE SA and already has a marketing degree.

“It’s definitely different to go from university to TAFE. I like the practical focus and the contact I have with my lecturers,” she says.

Dana has been a volunteer at the past two Adelaide Fringe festivals and says her internship has enabled her to gain a greater understanding of the skills needed in the event industry.

“One of the main things I’ve learnt is the importance of networking and building relationships,” she says.

“My supervisor has a great relationship with artists and clients because she puts so much effort into getting to know people and maintaining those relationships.”

Dana says her experience at the Adelaide Fringe has been busy and rewarding.

“It’s been great to be part of Fringe, I feel very lucky to be part of something that can’t happen anywhere else in the world at the moment,” she says.

Accounting student Waldah Mbabazi has seen a different side of the Fringe, spending the past four weeks working with the finance team at Fringe headquarters in Frome Street in the city.

While it’s a world away from event planning, financial management is crucial to the business side of running a major arts festival.

Waldah says the hands-on role has enabled her to use different accounting systems to the ones that she is familiar with and she’s learnt a lot.

“The best part has been knowing why things happen and how they happen,” she says.

“I feel good about sorting out payments and knowing the process is helping to pay artists.”

Waldah, who is studying a Diploma of Accounting, says she’s enjoyed working behind the scenes of a major event and taking the opportunity to see some of the Fringe shows.

“It’s a pretty cool place to work,” she says.