Creative talents on show in graduate exhibition

Jan 27, 2021

lets-touch-base

Rich storytelling using a diverse mix of materials and techniques is at the heart of Pulse, an exhibition by TAFE SA visual arts graduates.

The emerging artists, who completed a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Visual Arts) through TAFE SA and Flinders University in 2020, have explored themes such as mental and physical health, trauma, the environment and social disadvantage through painting, prints, sculpture, ceramics and moving image.

Pulse can be seen at Light Square Gallery, Adelaide College of the Arts, until February 4 and online at www.acapulse.com

Graduate Jessa Kloeden says the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent shift to remote learning influenced her decision to create a moving image artwork.

“I majored in photography, but our lecturers were open to us exploring other mediums and I tried digital and video, although I wasn’t a fan at the time,” she says.

“When I worked at home due to COVID-19 I started using video because I was so limited in what I could photograph.”

The resulting artworks are short videos exploring memory and nostalgia using objects borrowed from Jessa’s grandparents in curated settings and accompanied by the chime of a grandfather clock.

“I was really drawn to these items at my grandparents’ home and I wanted to show that objects can have stories around them and that sounds like the grandfather clock can evoke memories, too,” she says.

Jessa says the technical aspects of the work were the most challenging, particularly getting the videos to play across five screens in the correct order.

“I’ve really enjoyed the degree and being around creative people. The skills I’ve learnt have so many applications,” she says.

Potter Alicia Butt has incorporated braille messages on her ceramic artworks to encourage greater interaction with her audience.

She says the idea came as she explored ways to produce more tactile artworks.

“In second year, I worked on creating textured surfaces on ceramics and I wanted to extend that to work meaning into the texture,” Alicia says.

The extensive collection of porcelain vessels features snippets of conversations Alicia has had with members of the vision impaired community.

Her favourite, ‘Here we are again, the three blind mice’, relates to a story about three friends who regularly travelled on the train together.

“Visually impaired people are on the back foot when it comes to enjoying art. I thought it was interesting for sighted people to be in that position, to see the braille but not know what it says,” she says.

Jessa-Kloden-artwork

Alicia started her visual arts studies with an interest in painting but quickly discovered a love of ceramics, which she plans to continue developing into a professional practice.

“You can start with a ball of clay in the morning and, by the end of the day, you can have made something new. There’s also a scientific or analytical aspect to ceramics with the glazes and firing, which I enjoy,” she says.

Alicia and Jessa’s artworks have also been selected for the Helpmann Academy Graduate Exhibition at ACE Open from 29 January to 13 February. Fellow graduates Melissa Shinn, Maiko Pettman, Renee Bell and Ellis Moseley will also be part of the Helpmann show.

Images

1. Let’s Touch Base, ceramics by Alicia Butt. Michael Haines Photography.
  2. Passing Down and How I Remember You, moving image artwork by Jessa Kloeden.