New and different ways of learning at TAFE SA in Term 2

Apr 22, 2020

wellbeing

Following an extensive amount of work by educators in recent weeks, TAFE SA will transition over 90 per cent of its courses to digitally enabled learning from the beginning of Term 2.

This new way of learning for Term 2 aims to ensure that students and lecturers remain safe while ensuring continuity to the delivery of education and training to minimise the impact of COVID-19.

Students will be able to learn from the comfort of their own homes or access computer hubs at some TAFE SA campuses, which will be following social distancing and cleaning practices based on the latest health advice.

TAFE SA has been collaborating with other TAFEs across the country regarding education delivery, engaging with peak industry bodies to prioritise components of learning, and working with quality standards bodies in the development of the alternative delivery models.

TAFE SA Chief Executive David Coltman said that a huge amount of work had been done to ensure training could be delivered from the start of Term 2.

“From when we extended our mid semester break, our staff have been working around the clock to plan and implement alternative delivery methods and models to ensure our students can continue their education and training,” Mr Coltman said.

“I couldn’t be prouder of what has been achieved to date. Given the practical nature of so much of our training, to have 94 per cent of our courses ready for delivery from April 27 is a wonderful achievement. We are currently assessing how we can deliver the remaining 6% during the pandemic.

“Being ready for the commencement of Term 2 represents a huge effort across the organisation in delivering for our students, their employers, and our industry partners.

“While learning will be delivered differently in Term 2, it is our priority to provide students with the help and support they need as they transition to digitally enabled learning for Term 2.

“For some students this will be a big change and for others it will be much easier. 

“We will be with our students every step of the way and support and assistance will be available to all students so that they can continue to receive their education and training throughout Term 2.”

TAFE SA Board of Directors Chair, Jacqui McGill AO, said that TAFE SA remains committed to the social and economic well-being of South Australians through this challenging time.

“The TAFE SA team have committed to delivering on vocational training and education by implementing a range of digitally enabled training solutions to meet the needs of students and industry,” Ms McGill AO said.

“There are currently no plans for face to face delivery in Term 2, however our expert lecturers have come up with many creative ways to deliver digitally enabled training to meet the needs of students and industry.”

Education Minister John Gardner said that TAFE SA remained focused on meeting the needs of both South Australians seeking the skills they need for their careers and local industry that is seeking a skilled workforce in the future.         

“TAFE SA has done a fantastic job in coming up with innovative ways of delivering vocational education and training, to respond to the global pandemic, and to continue to support the industries and people of South Australia,” Minister Gardner said.

“The State Government fully supports TAFE SA’s efforts in ensuring vocational education and training opportunities continue during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

TAFE SA has prioritised the theoretical aspects of courses to enable as little disruption as possible to students, employers and industry.

Further work will be done to determine how to support the practical learning and assessment components for students. This will occur during the Term and will be communicated as it progresses.

While there is no specified timeframe for the new modes of training delivery, TAFE SA will continue to be guided by the advice of health authorities to ensure a safe environment is being provided for students and staff. 

For specific enquiries, students can contact the TAFE SA Customer Support Contact Centre on 1800 882 661 or email.