Creative journey begins at AC Arts

Aug 14, 2019

Acting is child’s play for Temeka Lawlor who has found her niche performing for young people.

The Adelaide College of the Arts (AC Arts) graduate is presently working with Adelaide’s Patch Theatre touring the group’s new work Zoom through regional SA.

“I got a taste of children’s theatre while I was studying and it was so rewarding. Kids are so honest and open and imaginative – and they tell you what they think,” she says.

Temeka and fellow graduate Angus Leighton have been working with Patch Theatre – which produces shows for children aged 4-8 – for most of the year.

Zoom: A lost star finds its way home is a magical piece of theatre exploring light and dark which Temeka and Angus have been working on from its development phase.

“We were initially asked to work on a creative development with Geoff Cobham, Dave Brown and Roz Hervey and we got on really well. Then we were offered the acting roles,” she says.

“I feel fortunate to have been involved in the show from scratch, working as a full-time actor is a dream come true.”

Temeka credits her time in the acting program at AC Arts with helping create a network of industry contacts, as well as the skills to take to the stage.

“I really value how much we were exposed to industry people while we were students. Our lecturers and guest lecturers were all working actors and directors and we learnt so much from them,” she says.

“Dave Brown (artistic director) was one of those who came into AC Arts and we did a show with him. I wasn’t sure where I was going to end up, but once I got a taste of children’s theatre, I found I was quite good at it and I enjoyed it.”

Temeka

Temeka’s acting journey began when she visited AC Arts as a high school student.

“School teachers had recommended the course and when I visited the campus I couldn’t get over how alive the whole building was with acting, dancing and visual art all happening, all these creatives in one place,” she says.

Temeka studied the Advanced Diploma of Acting, finishing at the end of 2017. An agent, auditions and fill-in jobs have ensued, but she’s thrilled to have spent the past six months in full-time acting work.

“It was scary to head out into the real world, but I felt equipped and ready to leave. I feel like we were taught by the best,” she says.

AC Arts, at 39 Light Square, Adelaide, will host an Open Day on Sunday, 18 August, from 10.30am-2.30pm.

Zoom is touring regional SA until August 27. There will be shows at Golden Grove on August 29 and 30, and at Noarlunga from September 3-6.

Photos: Temeka Lawlor in Zoom, above (photo by Andy Rasheed) and top (photo by Matt Byrne).