Launch your career in acting at Adelaide College of the Arts

Jan 08, 2019

Acting student

After 30 years of training many of South Australia’s most respected and loved actors, Adelaide College of the Arts (AC Arts) is offering aspiring actors a new course option in 2019.

The new look Advanced Diploma of Performing Arts (Acting), has been designed with a gradual increase of intensity over its 30 months.

Dr Terence Crawford, Head of Acting at AC Arts, said the course has been developed in response to helping students manage their training in the intense way that acting demands.

“The new format begins with a three-day per week commitment for the first-year, then gradually increases in intensity, meaning students will have more time to balance work and family, experience life, and really reflect on what they are learning along the way,” said Dr Crawford.

“Studying acting here in Adelaide at AC Arts has been opening doors for our students to extraordinary careers in acting and beyond for over 30 years.

“We have a long tradition of excellence in training, with our teaching staff comprised of working theatre artists, many of whom are leaders in the local industry.”

Clara Solly-Slade graduated from AC Arts in 2013 with an Advanced Diploma of Creative Arts (Acting) and has experienced much in the acting sphere since then.

As the recipient of the 2017 Neil Curnow Award, Clara undertook internships in New York and New Mexico, where she worked with young people from vulnerable communities on projects including theatre shows, visual art works, journalism and animation classes. 

“Working with these young people was such a privilege, their resilience and strength has been humbling and the experience taught me so much,” said Clara.

“The training and recent work I’ve done has been moving me towards working as a director, and I now have the opportunity to build my skills in that area thanks to the support of the Helpmann Academy.”

Clara recently received the 2018 Helpmann Academy ‘Emerging Director Fellowship’ that will see her take on a 12-month paid internship with both the State Theatre Company and State Opera from January 2019.

“I’m so blown away to be selected for this fellowship - I can’t wait to get into it at the end of January,” Clare added. 

“Although I’ve experienced and learnt so much since I graduated, studying acting at AC Arts gave me the technical skills and a solid foundation to launch my career, and I think it’s a great place to start for anyone who has a passion for performing.”

Dr Crawford is confident the new look Advanced Diploma will be a great launching pad for anyone who has a passion for acting and wants to turn it into a career.

“We really hope that the new look course will open up more opportunities for school-leavers and those looking for a career change, to achieve their acting dreams by studying at our wonderful school,” he added.

Applications are now open for the Advanced Diploma of Performing Arts (Acting) with auditions on 24 and 25 January 2019.

To find out more about this and other courses offered by AC Arts, go to www.tafesa.edu.au