Harriet has designs on a career in movies

Nov 29, 2018

Harriet Trubshaw - website

Harriet Trubshaw grew up in England with a passion for movies and design - and a very big dream.

When her family moved to Adelaide, it wasn’t long before Harriet’s creative design talent was spotted by her NIDA trained art teacher, who recommended she study live production at TAFE SA.

Harriet who has just completed her Diploma in Live Production and Technical Services at Adelaide College of the Arts, has been accepted to study Scenic Construction at New Zealand’s prestigious Te Kura Toi Whakaari o Aotearoa, better known as ‘Toi’. 

Toi is world renowned, and one of the few drama schools in the Southern Hemisphere to specialise in scenic and property construction for screen and stage.

Hundreds of applications were received for the Diploma of Scenic Construction and Properties from students all over the world.  After a rigorous application process that included workshops and assessments in New Zealand, Harriet was offered one of only eight places, and will be the only student from Australia heading to New Zealand next year.

Casey Van Sebille, Design Lecturer at TAFE SA, has worked closely with Harriet and is not surprised by her success.

“Harriet is an incisive thinker, project focused and a real collaborator, who grasps the bigger picture and can make a call when needed.

“Her instinctive drawing and painting signature style sets her apart creatively and she has developed an impressive portfolio of work,” said Casey

Over the past two years, Harriet has designed for the dance production ‘I say Yes’, co-designed the sets for Julius Caesar and worked on the transparent castle for the Paulo Castro’s La Luna Music theatre work.  

Although her work at AC Arts has helped Harriet further develop her skills in prop design and production, working with other specialist areas has also been a highlight.

“I have really enjoyed the opportunity of working in partnership with other students in AC Arts to bring a production to life, said Harriet.

“Areas such as lighting, costumes and design, all come together, and it’s been a great experience to work with and learn about these specialist areas. It’s knowledge that I know will help me at Toi as I begin to really specialise in set and prop construction.”

“With an increasing demand worldwide for prop construction and limited trained staff, I can see the next two years will really put me on track to achieving my big dream.

“In five years’ time I want to see my name rolling down the credits as prop maker for a big film franchise, like Harry Potter or Star Wars, said Harriet.”

We think that Harriet is on track to achieve this, so when you see the next blockbuster movie, make sure you stay around for the credits!