TAFE SA student shines at 2017 Australian Training Awards

Nov 24, 2017

Rachelle-Boyle

TAFE SA student, Rachelle Boyle, has been recognised among Australia’s best and brightest in the vocational education and training (VET) sector, awarded the Vocational Student of the Year at last night’s 2017 Australian Training Awards in Canberra.

The awards, which showcased the achievements of finalists from across the country, are the peak national awards for VET, recognising individuals, businesses and registered training organisations for their contribution to skilling Australia.

Rachelle, who studied the Advanced Diploma of Event Management at TAFE SA and is now working at All Occasions Group, was a finalist in the Vocational Student of the Year Award after winning the state award in September.

“I’m feeling very humbled and excited - it was mind-blowing to receive the award, I certainly didn’t expect it as all the other finalists were amazing,” Rachelle said.

“As a national award winner, I am going to take every chance that comes my way to promote the great opportunities from vocational education and training.

“Throughout my studies, all of the lecturers at TAFE SA were very supportive, I developed a lot of confidence and when I walked into the events industry I felt very prepared from everything I had learnt.”

The awards are the culmination of the state and territory training awards with winners from each state and territory eligible to compete at the national level in aligned categories.

Other TAFE SA finalists included Laura Pivovaroff, who studied Certificate III in Jewellery Manufacture at TAFE SA in the Apprentice of the Year Award category, while Sandy Beaton, who studied Certificate III  in Business Administration at TAFE SA, was a finalist in the Trainee of the Year Award.

TAFE SA Chief Executive Robin Murt said the awards highlighted the quality of vocational education and training across the country.

“I’m extremely proud to see our TAFE SA students receiving this well-deserved recognition on the national stage,” Mr Murt said.

“To have three finalists is a wonderful achievement and we are delighted that Rachelle received the prestigious award of Vocational Student of the Year, which is an outstanding achievement.

“I would also like to acknowledge the passionate teaching staff involved with each of these students who deliver high-quality education that is hands-on, practical and job-ready.”

Alongside receiving the South Australian Vocational Student of the Year at the SA Training Awards in September, Rachelle was also recently awarded the Travel, Tourism and Events, Student of the Year at the 2017 TAFE SA Hospitality, Cookery, Patisserie, Tourism and Events Awards.

Throughout the awards process, each finalist has been able to highlight the skills and job-readiness they’ve received from their education and training with TAFE SA in their chosen fields.