TAFE SA’s Ryan Grieger hammers home a silver medal at tradie Olympics

Oct 23, 2017

ryan-silver-2017

Carpenter Ryan Grieger has tasted international success with his trade, winning silver overnight at the 44th WorldSkills Competition in Abu Dhabi.

Ryan, who completed Certificate III in Carpentry at TAFE SA, finished ahead of other young carpenters from around the world in a four-day challenge, which put his carpentry skills to the test.

Ryan quit his job at the start of the year and spent time at TAFE SA to train full time for the competition.

He took home silver after a four-day performance that he said “just felt right”.

“I’m truly proud to represent my country and to win a medal for them is even better,” Ryan said. “It’s an honour.”

Ryan was one of 18 young representatives from Australia, known as the Skillaroos, to travel to the Middle East for the WorldSkills Competition, which saw more than 1,300 young people – representing 77 countries – compete across 51 trades and skills.

Australia claimed two silver medals and two bronze medals over the four-day competition, to see WorldSkills Australia finish in the top 10 skill nations in the world.

The Skillaroos are all aged 19 to 22, and represent a wide range of trades and skills, with the majority aligning with the National Skills Needs list, including bricklaying, patisserie and confectionery, heavy vehicle mechanics, carpentry, wall and floor tiling.

Ryan started his WorldSkills journey when he won the Adelaide Regional WorldSkills Competition at Tonsley in August 2015 and then the WorldSkills Australian National Competition in Melbourne last year.

Leading up to the event, Ryan said his success stemmed from the training he received at TAFE SA.

“I enjoyed studying at TAFE SA, learning various ways of performing the tasks I do at work and I found the lecturers were always helpful and encouraged me to do my best.”

TAFE SA Chief Executive, Robin Murt, said that TAFE SA was very proud of Ryan’s achievement.

“Ryan has been an exceptional student at TAFE SA and his talent, enthusiasm and dedication to his trade has made this such a well-deserved reward for his efforts,” Mr Murt said.

“We are also extremely proud of the staff who trained Ryan and provided the support to enable him to be the best that he could be.”

Ryan is looking forward to starting his own carpentry and building business in South Australia as well as “one day being able to build my own home”.

For more information about TAFE SA’s Building and Construction courses, visit tafesa.edu.au/courses/building-construction