Student Spotlight

Aug 15, 2019

student-spotlight

Ben-Adcock-WhiteBen Adcock-White
Certificate II Construction Pathways (CP00141)

How did you decide on TAFE SA?

“My school and I sat down and looked at TAFE SA courses I was already doing in a Certificate I at school. Now I have applied for the Certificate II and hope to get a job from it.”

What are you looking forward to?

“I would like to get my certificate, I also like the social bit of it as well, making friends and talking to people.”

Cooper-Spencer-KerrCooper Spencer-Kerr
Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315)

How did you decide on TAFE SA?

“I was initially looking at what sort of qualifications you would need to become a PT and that would be a Certificate IV. I thought I’d try the Certificate III and see how I went and if I like it, continue on to the Cert IV. I found TAFE SA online and applied through that. It was pretty straight forward. I knew TAFE SA was a big name for most qualifications. I’ve done part-time study but haven’t completed anything at TAFE SA before.

I go to the gym a lot and figure it would be something I could learn for myself and then pass it on to other people. When all my friends start going to the gym, they come to me for advice so I figured I may as well get the qualification and get paid!”

What are you looking forward to?

“Definitely looking at the training rooms they have there … just learning the correct form on a lot of the different equipment. Definitely learning to use gym equipment better, correctly.”

Where do you see yourself upon completion of your course?

If I am going to go to the Cert IV, which I am positive I will, and after that I’d like to become a personal trainer. In the long run probably open my own gym … one day. Definitely PT after completing the Cert IV.”

Jordan-StockerJordan Stocker
Certificate II in Electrotechnology (UEE22011)

How did you decide on TAFE SA?

“I have always been interested in electronics and working with my hands, so I thought studying electrotechnology and becoming an electrician would be a good idea.”

What are you looking forward to?

“Uni was more come and go as you please. It’s up to you to set your own schedule and manage your time.  At TAFE SA you have classes and you manage your time there, whereas at Uni you have to manage your time after hours.”

“I am going to use this as a stepping stone into an apprenticeship.”

Kellie-JamiesonKellie Jamieson
Certificate III in Floristry (SFL30115)

How did you decide on TAFE SA?

“I had just returned from Singapore. My husband travels a lot for his job, so we have lived in Hong Kong, Singapore and then Queensland and I had used my career beforehand to basically follow him around. I have been a compounding technician in pharmacy for 20 years.

We came back to Adelaide and I made the decision to do something I wanted to do. I have always wanted to do floristry, my kids have both finished school, so it’s my time and I am doing this course for interest. I wanted something creative rather than scientific, which I have been doing my whole career.”

What are you looking forward to?

“I am looking forward to meeting other people who have the same sort of interests, I have been doing pharmacy for so long I would like to be around more creative people.

I need to also re-establish a new friendship group in Adelaide after being gone for a while.”

“I have been working for people for a long time, so this would be an opportunity not to, so I might operate my own small business.”

Kieran-StoneKieran Stone
Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315)

How did you decide on TAFE SA?

“I discharged from the army late last year and I was thinking I need to try a new career. I was in infantry and an electrical technician in the army.

I thought about what I was passionate about and interested in and thought I will get involved in the fitness industry. A friend recommended TAFE SA, as you get more time and more hands-on stuff.”

What are you looking forward to?

“I see myself continuing to study and getting the Certificate IV afterwards, I’ll just take my time with that and eventually work in the industry as a personal trainer.”

Kirill-SkibaKirill Skiba

How did you decide on TAFE SA?

“Mum recommended I look at TAFE SA as she studied here.  I looked at the website and I am looking to get into employment quickly.”

What are you looking forward to?

“Learning new skills and developing employment skills.”

“Finding an apprenticeship and having a clearer pathway.”

Sarah-CoventrySarah Coventry
Certificate III in Floristry (SFL30115)

How did you decide on TAFE SA?

“I had actually been thinking about doing floristry for about five years and it was always in the Tea Tree Gully campus, so when I heard that it was available in Adelaide, I decided to apply.

I have always liked flower and art, so this is a course that combines both my interests. I had looked around in different states about studying floristry for a while and then found the one in Adelaide and applied via the TAFE SA website.

I have tried gaining employment in the industry, however, you need experience and qualifications."

What are you looking forward to?

“The course will give me the opportunity to build my networks in industry and get the experience I need.”

“Not sure yet, would like to see how I go in the course.”

︿
Back to Top