Student Story - Mey: Bachelor in the Barossa Series

May 06, 2021

Seavmey - Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events Management Student

The TAFE SA Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events Management (099074G/CRS1400588) course will be delivered at our Barossa Valley Campus from Semester 2 2021. To celebrate, we are catching up with three of our international students who are currently studying the Bachelor at our Regency Campus.

First up is Seavmey (Mey), who travelled to Adelaide after she graduated from high school in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Having some family here helped Mey to choose Adelaide as her study destination, but she was also excited about working and living in a new city.

Why did you choose to study at TAFE SA?

TAFE SA was recommended to me by family. I first studied a Diploma of Hospitality Management (090981A/SIT50416) here, which initially was the perfect institution for me because it offered practical and theoretical components. This assisted me to get into industry and work at a café. After completing my Diploma, I was able to continue onto the Bachelor through a higher education pathway. 

What is your favourite thing to do in Adelaide? 

I love travelling to beautiful beaches and going to different kinds of restaurants and cafes. I also enjoy shopping and visiting wineries around the region. Adelaide has got a lot going on – there are many events and festivals and opportunities to create new friends. 

What interests you about the field you are currently studying and how will it assist you to achieve your future goals? 

There are lots of opportunities and options. The Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events Management covers a range of subjects and interests me because I could end up working in multiple industries and even travel and work around the world. Through studying these courses and graduating, I will be able to illustrate and show people all the skills and knowledge I have gained. This will help me to find a job where I want and achieve my dreams.  

What is one useful thing you have learnt in your course so far? 

I have learnt to be more confident. I have taken what I have learnt in class and applied it to my life, both in the workplace and at home. I feel humbled to be where I am and I am gaining more and more self-confidence with time.

What do you hope to do after you finish studying at TAFE SA? 

Hopefully, I will be working in a hotel or resort as a manager. Alternatively, when I have enough experience, I hope that one day I can open my own business and show people just how qualified I am, with my TAFE SA qualifications and industry experiences.  

Are you interested in studying Tourism, Hospitality or Events Management? Learn more about our courses today.

Enquire now

How to apply