TAFE SA students rewarded for academic excellence

Nov 29, 2019

Study Adelaide Awards

Information Technology student Virroshan Kumar has taken out Study Adelaide’s award for Academic Excellence: Vocational Education and Training.

Virroshan, who is studying a Certificate IV in Programming at the Adelaide Campus, says he is surprised and happy about the award which recognises outstanding achievement by an international student undertaking a vocational education course.

The annual International Student Awards were held at Government House last month, with the Governor, the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC, presenting awards across 11 categories to students from 13 countries.

Virroshan hails from Malaysia and says he was influenced by his father’s career when he chose an IT pathway but, he says, he decided it was also important to study something he enjoyed.

Virroshan Kumar I was influenced by my Dad, who used to work in IT, but it is actually what I like to do, too.”

He was drawn to TAFE SA because of the hands-on, practical learning offered and believes he’s being well prepared for a career in the IT industry.

“The course has given me a taste of everything, and the lecturers are very helpful,” he says.

Virroshan’s lecturers say he is highly engaged with his studies and proud to be part of TAFE SA.

He has a positive outlook and displays great leadership skills as a member of Study Adelaide’s Student Ambassador Team.

“Being a student ambassador has been really good for me and provided me with new opportunities and challenges. For instance, I’m scared of public speaking, but I’ve had to get up and talk to a group of international students,” he says.

Virroshan will continue to study at TAFE SA next year, undertaking a Diploma in Software Development, and says his long-term goal is to have his own software company.

Taraneh Saeedi

Fellow student, Taraneh Saeedi, was ‘Highly Commended’ in the same category, Academic Excellence: Vocational Education and Training.

An enthusiastic student and TAFE SA Student Ambassador, Taraneh is completing a Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration at Tonsley Campus.  

She has already studied a Diploma of Interior Architecture in her home country of Iran and had been working in the industry before relocating to Adelaide.

"I was looking for practical skills rather than a degree, which is why I came to TAFE, and Adelaide is a great city for art and design,” she says.

"I've enjoyed learning about the different eras of building design, and I appreciate the practical opportunities we receive. I’ve learnt a lot in a short time."

Taraneh says she’s proud to have her efforts recognised through the Study Adelaide Awards and is looking forward to pursuing her goal of working as an interiors and furniture designer.