FAQ International - Study Pathways

  • What English Language programs does TAFE South Australia offer?

    TAFE South Australia offers English language award courses like Certificate IV in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).

    We also offer many non award English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) programs including General English, English for Academic Purposes and English for Academic Purposes Advanced.

    You can find full details in the international courses and fees list and the International Prospectus.

  • What are the advantages of studying at TAFE South Australia ?

    When you choose to study at TAFE South Australia you’ll enjoy the benefits of courses that are industry relevant and provide you with clear pathways to University.

    Along with hands-on teaching to equip you with practical workforce skills, smaller class sizes mean that your teachers and lecturers can give you more time and attention.

    Also, TAFE South Australia is owned and operated by the Government of South Australia, so the quality of education is guaranteed and your investment is secure.

  • Can I get recognition of skills and study that I already have?

    If you have experience or studies relevant to your chosen course you can apply to have these skills recognised through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) towards your formal qualification.

    If successful, this may mean that you receive course credit toward your formal qualification and/or are exempted from having to complete certain units or modules in your study program.

    Your skills and knowledge may have been gained through work, formal study, volunteering, informal or formal training, social activities, self taught or general life experiences.

    When you apply for RPL you are asked to provide evidence of your skills and studies. This evidence can include certification, academic transcripts, subject descriptions, testimonials, references from employers and work samples.

    This evidence of your knowledge and skills is then measured against the equivalent module(s) or unit(s) in the relevant course. If you are successful, you will be assessed as having already completed those modules or units in your course. This will enable you to complete your studies in less time and at less cost. Fees do apply for this process.

    If you are applying before enrolment, please send your documentation with your online application. If you are applying after enrolment, make sure that you bring your information and speak to your program coordinator. You must apply for RPL within two weeks of your course starting.

    TAFE South Australia’s practice of Recognition of Prior Learning will be consistent with the conditions of the Educational Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code of Practice 2007. If course credits or exemptions are granted through RPL this may reduce the duration of the course. If this occurs before a student visa is granted, TAFE South Australia will advise the student of the course duration, as per the reduction granted by RPL.

    If course credits or exemptions are granted after a student visa is granted, the student must be notified of any course duration changes and the change in length of the course will be recorded in the Provider Registration and International Student Management System (PRISMS) as per the ESOS Act 2000.

    Students who have received course credits or exemptions must continue to keep their enrolment load at a level to allow them to complete their course within the expected duration.

    “Course credit: Exemption from enrolment in a particular part of the course as a result of previous study, experience or recognition of a competency currently held. Includes academic credit and recognition of prior learning” (National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007).

  • Can I apply for Credit Transfer?

    Credit transfer means that you receive a course credit  towards your new course of study for previous relevant studies. This can be a credit towards your new program of study at TAFE or obtaining a credit towards a university course with your TAFE South Australia qualification.

    Many TAFE qualifications can help to get you into university and may count towards your degree. A relevant diploma may count towards a year of your degree and an advanced diploma may count for up to a year-and-a-half of a degree.

    TAFE South Australia has credit transfer agreements with South Australian universities that give students credit for comparable successful studies. This can shorten the time it takes to complete a new course, or it can lighten the study load in any one year.

    To claim credit, you must formally apply and provide evidence of your previous studies, such as a qualification parchment or a statement of attainment, issued by the appropriate institution.

    Remember that being eligible for credit does not guarantee that you will be offered a place in the course. Credit will normally only be granted after you have been offered a place in a course.

    “Course credit: Exemption from enrolment in a particular part of the course as a result of previous study, experience or recognition of a competency currently held. Includes academic credit and recognition of prior learning” (National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007).

  • Will my TAFE South Australia course guarantee me a place at University?

    If you have a Packaged University offer, then assuming successful completion of the TAFE SA course, your place at University is guaranteed. Packaged University offers are available for a select number of course.

    If you do not have a Packaged University offer then you may be eligible for credit transfer, in which case you may gain entry to the second year of the University degree. Places are not guaranteed for credit transfer.

  • What do I do if I want to change my course?

    Speak with your lecturer or your teacher about changing your course.

    If your lecturer allows you to change your course, make an appointment with the International Student Support Coordinator to discuss what you will need to do.

  • What must I do if I want to change to another education provider?

    You must meet the conditions of your student visa which means that you will require a letter of release if you have not completed six months of your principal course of study. Please refer to the Conditions of enrolment1 here or in the Pre departure and Orientation guide for more detail.

    If you have completed six months of your course, you do not need a letter of release from TAFE South Australia.

    Before a letter of release can be given to you, you will need to present a letter of offer from another provider at the TAFE South Australia International Student Office.

Didn't find your answer?

Contact us