Planning a vocational pathway?

Everything you need for a great job and rewarding career could be at your fingertips if you are:

  • 16 years of age or over
  • enrolled in SACE at school
  • completing, or have completed, VET or work placement related to your career pathway.

If that sounds like you, the State Government Training Guarantee means you can start your Certificate III qualification pathway at school and have a guaranteed place at TAFE SA to complete it when you leave. 

Some conditions do apply. The State Government Training Guarantee will guarantee you a place at TAFE SA if:
  • you successfully complete the SACE, including at least 30 SACE credits of nationally accredited VET in certain qualifications and at least 140 hours of relevant work placement in an identified, approved qualification
  • after you finish school, you intend to complete the Certificate III (or higher) at TAFE SA that you commenced as part of your SACE
  • you don't intend to take a break or 'gap year' after finishing school.

The first thing you need to do is to speak to your school's career counsellor or VET coordinator to make sure you meet all the conditions and then work out the details.

Next, all these things will be included in a formal Education and Training Plan that you, your parent/guardian, your school and TAFE SA will negotiate and agree to.

If you are a School Based Apprentice, you don't need to do anything - your training will continue to be funded after you leave school in the qualification shown on the Training Contract you signed. 

Where your VET studies post school are in a trade qualification, you will need to find an employer to take you as an apprentice before you can start at TAFE SA (if you can't get an apprenticeship, you may have to do an alternative qualification). 

Under training guarantee there are no tuition fees for your Certificate II course. Fees do apply to Certificate III courses.

You may need to pay for personal items such as tools, clothing or other materials needed for your training.

Talk to your school's career counsellor or VET coordinator now.