Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
Campus Locations for Course Delivery
Course Admission Requirements
(for International Applications)
of 5.5 Overall with minimum of 5.0 in all bands or equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion of Year 10 or overseas equivalent.
- Indian, Nepalese and Bangladeshi students need satisfactory completion of
Year 12 or overseas equivalent
at 60% in the top 4 subjects (excluding native language) for all courses (ie Cert III, Cert IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Associate Degree) If student has needed to re-sit for their exam provide all exam results.*Not accepting Punjab State Board or Haryana State Board HS results only – need to present a Central Board result exam or a higher qualification.
Work Placement Duration: 400 hours
During Semester 2 students will undertake 20 hours of work/industry placement for 20 weeks totalling 400 hours.
- Students may wish to undertake the Restaurant Management Package consisting of the
• Certificate III in Hospitality
• Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
• Either the Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery or the Certificate IV in Hospitality
• Advanced Diploma of Hospitality
This package includes study of food preparation, hospitality management, front of house, budget, menu and kitchen planning, staff management and financial and business planning and management. The package equips graduates to effectively start, plan and manage restaurants, food or hospitality businesses, having gained knowledge and skills of all key areas of the business. Graduates of the Restaurant Management Program will have a competitive advantage in gaining detailed knowledge and practical skills across both commercial cookery and hospitality.
Students selecting the Commercial Cookery stream with the addition of the Certificate III in Hospitality will be charged $ 40,000. Students selecting the Hospitality stream with the addition of the Certificate III in Commercial Cookery will be charged $38,000. Both variations of the Restaurant Management Package are 2.5 years or 5 semesters in length. Students adding the Certificate III in Hospitality to the Commercial Cookery stream may complete earlier due to the shorter duration of the work placement. Typically students will complete the two Certificate III courses and then progress to the Certificate IV and Advanced Diploma.
- Students may be able to fast track the 2 year package of courses should they do their work placement during their study and complete in approximately 18 months. Should this occur students will still pay the total program fee.
- Students commencing in May will undertake their placement within a 3 month period over November, December and January compared to students commencing in February\July who will have a whole semester to complete their placement.
How to Apply
International Course - application process
If you are applying from onshore, generally, you will need to apply for an international course to TAFE South Australia at least two months before you want to start your studies in Australia. If you are applying from offshore it is highly recommended that you apply at least four months in advance.
Read more about:
Note: You must be an International resident to apply for this course.
For Australian residents please visit TAFE SA Courses.
Certificates gained in this area open a world of opportunities for cooks and kitchen hands, and offer the opportunity to work in diverse workplaces such as patisseries, restaurants, coffee shops, taverns, international hotels, cruise liners, and outside catering. Graduates can expect to work with people from all over the world and see and experience many types of food, baking, patisserie and chocolate-preparation techniques.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of cookery skills. They use discretion and judgement and have a sound knowledge of kitchen operations. They work with some independence and under limited supervision and may provide operational advice and support to team members. 22 core units plus 3 electives.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.
These course fees are for international students only.
|Tuition Fees||Incidental Fees|
|Semester 1||AUD $7000||AUD $550|
|Semester 2||AUD $7000||-|
|Fee Totals||AUD $14000||AUD $550|
|Total Course Cost||AUD $14550|
* The $550 charge is for the Industry Placement Administration and Management Fee. Students will also be required to purchase additional learning materials, including uniforms and equipment. The total package costs of Certificate III & IV in Commercial Cookery and the Advanced Diploma of Hospitality is $32000.
Note: TAFE SA does not commit to any fees shown. Charges vary between courses and subjects and are
based on a rate per hour. TAFE SA and their agents reserve the right to make any changes necessary.
Overseas Student Health Cover
All overseas students are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) insurance for the entire duration of the course. The health cover rate will vary depending on the personal circumstances and duration of stay in Australia. Read more about Overseas Student Health Cover.
TAFE SA International offers an optional Arrival & Pick up and/or Accommodation Service. For further details please contact us.