This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to repair and maintain the body of cars, heavy vehicles and other vehicles in the automotive industry. Possible job roles include: Vehicle body repair technician; Vehicle body restoration technician; and Heavy vehicle body and chassis repair technician.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate III in Automotive Body Repair Technology
16 core units:
- Read and apply automotive repair instructions
- Apply safe working practices in an automotive workplace
- Test, charge and replace batteries
- Use and maintain workplace tools and equipment
- Repair chassis, fame and associated components
- Monitor environmental and sustainability best practice in the automotive body repair industry
- Carry out pre-repair vehicle body operations
- Remove, replace and realign bot-on panels, sections and fittings
- Repair body panels incorporating filler
- Replace major welded panels
- Repair vehicle body misalignment
- Remove and replace adhesive bonded panels and structures
- Determine vehicle damage and recommended repair procedures
- Carry out gas metal arc welding procedures
- Conduct oxy-acetylene, thermal heating and cutting
- plus 14 elective units.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.