Course Notes & Special Requirements
- Many applicants for this course will be requiring Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). RPL is applicable for any knowledge and skills picked up through life or work, especially in the field of Thermal Performance Assessing. RPL is all done externally via our online system, and each case is managed personally on an individual basis. RPL Fees average approximately $2630, even less with Credit Transfers for previous formal study undertaken. Any gap training can also be undertaken.
- If there are more applicants than available places, TAFE SA will make offers based on date of application.
How to Apply
Note: You must be an Australian Resident to apply for this course.
For International Students please visit International Courses.
This qualification is designed to meet the needs of assessors operating under the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS). Potential users of this qualification include NatHERS assessors, enterprises, government agencies, industry regulatory bodies, community organisations, building designers, architects and other building professionals associated with residential building thermal performance.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate IV in NatHERS Assessment
This Qualification will skill people to become Thermal Performance Energy Rating Assessors for Homes in Australia.
Students will learn relevant software packages to be able to perform Thermal Assessments to meet the 6 Star Energy Rating compliance of Councils under the Building Code of Australia, applying to all new homes and additions.
Students may also learn, depending on electives, to use the BCA to do Deemed to Satisfy Elemental Method Ratings also.
All new Energy Rating Assessors need to have this Certificate IV to become licenced to perform this work.
11 core units:
- Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- Follow site OHS requirements
- Read and extract information from plans, drawings and specifications for residential buildings
- Collect information to support NatHERS assessment
- Conduct NatHERS assessment of planned residential buildings
- Conduct NatHERS assessment of existing residential buildings
- Meet regulatory requirements when completing NatHERS assessments
- Assess impact of building elements on thermal performance of residential buildings
- Advise on options for enhancing thermal performance of residential buildings
- Cost measures to improve thermal performance of residential buildings
- Manage own work, professional development and ethical behaviour
- plus 6 elective units.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.