You will learn how to select components, install, set up, test, fault find, repair and maintain refrigeration systems and equipment that apply to food storage and preservation, air-conditioning and air distribution equipment in buildings and premises. The course also includes regulatory requirements for purchasing and handling refrigerants.
This qualification provides competencies to select components, install, set up, test, fault find, repair and maintain refrigeration systems and equipment that apply to food storage and preservation, air conditioning and air distribution equipment in buildings and premises. It includes regulatory requirements for purchasing and handling refrigerants.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate III in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
25 core units:
- Participate in refrigeration and air conditioning work and competency development activities
- Apply OHS regulations, codes and practices in the workplace
- Fabricate, assemble and dismantle utilities industry components
- Solve problems in ELV single path circuits
- Fix and secure electrotechnology equipment
- Use drawings, diagrams, schedules, standards, codes and specifications
- Document and apply measures to control OHS risks associated with electrotechnology work
- Prepare and connect refrigerant tubing and fittings
- Establish the basic operating conditions of vapour compression systems
- Establish the basic operating conditions of air conditioning systems
- Install refrigerant pipe work, flow controls and accessories
- Install air conditioning and refrigeration systems, major components and associated equipment
- Recover, pressure test, evacuate, charge and leak test refrigerants
- Verify functionality and compliance of refrigeration and air conditioning installations
- Select refrigerant piping, accessories and associated controls
- Diagnose and rectify faults in air conditioning and refrigerant systems and components
- Commission air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Find and rectify faults motors and associated controls in refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- Solve problems in low voltage refrigeration circuits
- Apply environmentally and sustainable energy procedures in the energy sector
- Disconnect/reconnect composite alliances connected to low voltage
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.