This course provides comprehensive training for painting and decorating apprentices in all practical and theoretical aspects of the trade. Learn hands-on skills from teachers who are industry professionals, in specialised facilities tailored to provide the best educational environment, so you learn the skills your employer needs.
Possible job roles include: Painter and Decorator.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
23 core units:
- Work effectively and sustainably in the construction industry
- Plan and organise work
- Conduct workplace communication
- Carry out measurements and calculations
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Calculate and cost construction work
- Work safely at heights
- Apply OHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
- Operate elevated work platforms
- Erect and maintain trestle and plank systems
- Handle painting and decorating materials
- Use painting and decorating tools and equipment
- Remove and replace doors and door and window components
- Prepare surfaces for painting
- Erect and dismantle restricted height scaffolding
- Apply paint by brush and roller
- Apply texture coat paint finishes by brush, roller and spray
- Apply paint by spray
- Match specified paint colour
- Apply stains and clear timber finishes
- Apply wallpaper
- Apply decorative paint finishes
- Implement safe lead paint and asbestos work practices in the painting industry
- plus 4 elective units.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.