This course provides comprehensive training for bricklaying apprentices, and covers all practical and theoretical aspects of the trade.
You will learn how to lay bricks and blocks using different bonds, including laying of brickwork/blockwork for domestic, commercial, industrial and public buildings, as well as how to construct ornamental panels, feature walls, arches and columns.
Possible job roles include: Bricklayer; Blocklayer.
Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (eg licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.
Qualifications & Skills Covered
Certificate III in Bricklaying/Blocklaying
21 core units:
- Carry out setting out, Work effectively and sustainably in the construction industry
- Plan and organise work
- Conduct workplace communication
- Carry out measurements and calculations
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Apply basic levelling procedures
- Erect and dismantle restricted height scaffolding
- Carry out basic demolition
- Apply OHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
- Handle and prepare bricklaying and blocklaying materials
- Use bricklaying and blocklaying tools and equipment
- Carry out masonry veneer construction
- Carry out cavity brick construction
- Construct masonry steps and stairs
- Lay masonry walls and corners
- Lay multi-thickness walls and piers
- Install flashings and damp proof course
- Construct masonry archs
- Construct curved walls
- Install fire-rated masonry construction
- plus 6 elective units.
Note: Students who successfully complete only one or more units of competency but not the full Qualification are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment.