TAFE SA news

TAFE SA student juggles study, work and motherhood on path to success

Mar 24, 2014

TAFE SA graduate Amy Howard’s passion and perseverance have been the key qualities that assisted her to complete a qualification.

The mother of two young children has recently completed the Certificate III in Agriculture (Dairy Production) while working in the industry and balancing day-to-day family life.

Amy had been working as a farmhand in the industry for 10 years before looking to add value to her experience with a nationally recognised qualification.

“I wanted to go further in my work, and while I had years of experience I wanted the formal training to back it up,” said Amy.

When Amy started her studies she found it difficult to balance work and study as her children were very young. Amy decided to put her studies on-hold and focussed on working to support the family.

Once Amy’s children started kindergarten and school she quickly re-registered in the course, and hasn’t looked back.

“I encourage other Mums in a similar situation not to give up and think it will never happen- it may seem hard at the time but you get through it!”

Growing up in a small farming community, many people spoke highly of TAFE SA training in agriculture, so up-skilling at TAFE SA was an obvious choice for Amy.

“TAFE SA has helped me to build on the skills I had already learnt at work,” said Amy.

“I have been able to gain more understanding of many parts of my work including calving, identifying health issues, tractor skills, pasture and crop growing and a good nutrition feeding plan which I was able to implement at work.”

Amy has now started studying the Certificate IV in Agriculture with TAFE SA and hopes to graduate from the course at the end of the year.

TAFE SA trains in over 1300 qualifications as well as short courses. To find out more information about TAFE SA’s dairy short courses click here.

To find out about other courses available at TAFE SA click here.

PHOTOGRAPH: TAFE SA Lecturer Annalee Wallace with student Amy Howard in the Mount Gambier Campus farmlet.