TAFE SA news

Women bloom in the mining boom

Feb 16, 2012

Local women are training to gain work in South Australia’s booming Mining industry.

Typically a male dominated industry in the past, female representation in the Mining workforce is fast-increasing.  Women working in the Mining industry are well regarded and supported,  working in roles including truck driver operators, engineers, geoscientists, IT workers and business managers.

Bianca Coombs and Sharryn Hebberman have recently started study in the Mining class at TAFE SA Regional’s Port Lincoln Campus.

“I’m really excited to be part of this course,” said Ms Coombs. 

“After having a look at the Mining industry I can see great potential for a secure future , as well as the financial benefit that goes with working in this field.  The TAFE SA Regional Mining course will give me a foot in the door for employment.”

Ms Hebberman, who is in her early forties, has to juggle her studies with being a mother to five children.  “I am currently a driver supervisor, and really like the outdoors,” she said. “The Mining industry promises financial security, and will allow me to have the flexibility of fly in fly out (FIFO) work so that I can still meet the needs of my family. I look forward to gaining new skills and knowledge throughout the TAFE SA Regional Mining course.”

TAFE SA Regional Mining Training Manager Lyndon Giles said “It is pleasing to see that the Mining course is not only recognised by men, but also by women who want to secure a career in the fast growing Mining industry.”

On successful conclusion of the course, both Ms Coombs and Ms Hebberman will have new skills and knowledge including OHS, Environmental Sustainable Work, First Aid, Handle Resources and Infrastructure Operations. They will also gain tickets for White Card, Work Safely at Heights, Work in Confined Spaces, and licences in Forklift, Front End Loader, giving them excellent credentials when applying for work in the Mining industry.